BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while decelerating from high speed (and going down on gears), I felt the rear brake pedal chatter or pulse. Is the ABS computer telling me not to use the rear brake while using the front brake or did it not like how much pressure I applied to the pedal? :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is a good question. I had an FJR before buying my beemer and always used both brakes. Using both front and rear brake on the beemer I always felt the rear brake to feel a bit mushy. It needed a couple of pumps to feel normal after the FJR. When I brought it in for the 6k service they said it was normal. Same thing happened at the 12k service. Normal.

IMO, normal rear brake feel is not all that good.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You didn't mention how old your RT is. But, newer one anyway use linked brakes that apply approximately 25% rear brake force when the front brake is applied. When stopping from high speed and you are also pushing the rear brake pedal it may have been enough to lock the rear wheel...if you did have ABS.

It sounds like the pulsing was the ABS doing its job and preventing rear wheel lockup. The pulsing is the system releasing and reapplying the rear brake. I always use both brakes. Your description sounds normal to me. If it pulses all the time no matter how much rear brake is applied then I would look into it further. In the meantime, I suggest just using a bit less rear brake force.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Steve. A little "forum" challenged. It is a 2007 RT.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
TSS, I vote with the thought that your ABS kicked in. This is a good example that it is important to test your ABS on some surface that you can get it to activate so you get the feel of it. I suggest you try your rear brake on some dirt at about 10 MPH. You need to be a little careful checking the front. I check mine once or twice a month on my dirt driveway, both front and back.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As Cessna said, the front and rear brakes are linked. You can rest your foot on the rear brake pedal during hard braking with the front and actually feel the pedal depressing. During this depressing of the pedal, it feels soft and pulses against your foot.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
TeSmSp,

I know how you feel about the pulsing. My first experience with the ABS kicking in was duiring quick stop practice during an Advanced Riders Class. My friend on his Honda VTX was constantly locking up his rear wheel; but my just pulsed and clicked away stopping the bike very quickly. It does feel rather strange though!

Regards,

·
Registered
169 Posts
150flyer said:
As Cessna said, the front and rear brakes are linked. You can rest your foot on the rear brake pedal during hard braking with the front and actually feel the pedal depressing. During this depressing of the pedal, it feels soft and pulses against your foot.

Do you think this is what I may be feeling when I described the rear brake as mushy? Like you said, I can feel a difference in pedal pressure when my foot is on the pedal and I start braking.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yup- they all do it and its not your ABS. The linked system impacts the feel of the rear and there is a little "hitch" in the already soft mushy junk that passes for a rear brake on the bike if you use both together. I wish BMWs brake guy worked for me so I could fire him. The system has plenty of power up front and all kinds of nanny safety crap but at the expense of taking useful control away from riders who know how to use it by reducing rear feel to close to nothing (mostly from a bad choice of rear master cylinder diameter but also pad selection and lever ratio- in short almost ALL of the key rear design parameters need change)

Older BMWs- like a K1200RS I also ride- have more rider friendly and useful brakes though the overly pricey bits and unique service procedures (with pitfalls for the unwary and untrained) nneding some unusual tools compared to most bikes often create their own issues..

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
150flyer said:
That is interesting information, I have to try that. I seldom use the rear brake unless on dirt or in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
racer7 said:
I wish BMWs brake guy worked for me so I could fire him.
Me too, I would like separate front and rear brakes, enough of this linked stuff.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I had that happen on a 08 RT and turn out to be the rear end was bad. It feel like the ABS was engaging, but it was not. If I remember correctly I put the motorcycle on the center stand and spun the rear tire. You could feel the gears griding, so it was fixed under warranty. Hopes it's not that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts