BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had good luck with aftermarket rear brake pads for a 2007 K1200LT ? where to order them from and if they stay quiet? or if the difference in price is small enoug to stay with original BMW pads?. I hate to put pads that might be harmfull for the rotor or reduce the stopping performance and make noise on top of that. Any imput will be apreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
mechanic said:
Anybody had good luck with aftermarket rear brake pads for a 2007 K1200LT ? where to order them from and if they stay quiet? or if the difference in price is small enoug to stay with original BMW pads?. I hate to put pads that might be harmfull for the rotor or reduce the stopping performance and make noise on top of that. Any imput will be apreciated.
I bought mine from BeemerBoneyard. They work fine, but the squeal that the new BMW rotor had eliminated is now back with these pads. I don't know for sure if the OEM pads would have been quiet, but the pads that came on the bike were quiet after the new rotor was unstalled while the bike was still under warranty. I forget now if the 10 bolt was replaced by a 5 bolt or vice-versa, but the change removed the squeal that had come with the bike as standard equipment.

Unforutnately, when I replaced the OEM pads with those from BB, the noise came back...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast responses. I do have a loud rear squeal coming to a final stop on my `07 with 10k only , I just got this bike a week ago and the rear pads look worn close to the metal. I don`t know if they are original or not but the previous owner told me that he loved to use the rear brakes.I don`t mind paying the high price of the BMW pads if those are the only quiet ones out there. That`s why I wanted to get some options out there.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
EBC HH pads have for many been the desired rear replacement

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Voyager said:
I bought mine from BeemerBoneyard. They work fine, but the squeal that the new BMW rotor had eliminated is now back with these pads. I don't know for sure if the OEM pads would have been quiet, but the pads that came on the bike were quiet after the new rotor was unstalled while the bike was still under warranty. I forget now if the 10 bolt was replaced by a 5 bolt or vice-versa, but the change removed the squeal that had come with the bike as standard equipment.

Unforutnately, when I replaced the OEM pads with those from BB, the noise came back...
The squeaky brakes (as opposed to the cowbell noise) will almost always come back, unless you bed your brakes in. Doesn't matter which brand - doesn't matter where you bought 'em. I followed this practice starting several years ago, with every new set of pads I put on, and never have noise.

Click here for instructions on how to properly bed your brakes in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I popped in some CP Brakes pads in my '01 tat I picked up at the GP for $29. Quick change and light burn in and no noise at all. Yet. Mine were pretty bad, Squeeling horribly, had about 1 mm flesh left on them and a long pedal. Im going to order the fronts from Spiegle soon. Same price $29 per cal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, seems like the EBC Double H pads are the winner for the rear, Now can someone tell me the part number for them? it is a 2007 K1200LT and some websites show a different pad on the picture and I am confused. Amazon shows a different picture for part# FA304HH
and Motorcycle superstore shows the ones with only one hole ear in one end. That way I have a better search tool. Sorry for my ignorance I just haven`t taken appart the back brakes to see what they look like. Thank`s for the kwick responses.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I got mine from Beemer Boneyard and bedded them like Brian posted, no noise at all and the price was right.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Go with the EBC rotor also.I did and now have a rear brake that actually functions properly.And no cow bell! :dance:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Unless something seriously wrong or someone has been riding the brakes real hard, they should last a whole lot longer than 10k.

I'm hard of hearing, my brakes moan some just as I come to a stop. I can barely hear it and then for a second or two. Doesn't bother me enough to get me to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
ChiefMn said:
Go with the EBC rotor also.I did and now have a rear brake that actually functions properly.And no cow bell! :dance:
I thought that the cow bell was to let the other riders know that you came to a complete stop? :dance:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Mechanic,

The early LTs had Brembo calipers and used the pads with a single hole in them. Once they switched over to the BMW calipers the pads have 2 holes(either 2001 or 2002).

The EBC 304HH are the correct pads. I have used EBC 244HH but had to grind the corners down to make them identical .

If you are looking for a set of sporty tires that are weight rated for the LT you might consider using Michelin Pilot Road 3 in the front and Avon Storm Ultra on the rear. I have used this combo for about 50K (several sets of course) and they have worked out great. Getting 13K on the front and 11K on the rear .

Welcome...BTW!

Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
mechanic said:
EBC's HH pads. I've done 2 bikes with them and they always performed flawlessly AND quietly. Change the rear disc while you're at it too. You won't regret it.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Mechanic,

The early LTs had Brembo calipers and used the pads with a single hole in them. Once they switched over to the BMW calipers the pads have 2 holes(either 2001 or 2002). Ron
The rear pads Brembo or BMW all have two holes. The front pads changed in 2002.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the imputs. Will get them right away.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are right, finally got my butt on my knees with a flashlight and yes, TWO HOLES on them, will be placing my order soon :dance:

·
Registered
15 Posts
what year bike do you use those tire on. I can only find Metzler and Bridgestone for my 2006, and they dont last for squat. I realize this post is old, hopefully you see this

1 - 20 of 26 Posts