BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my rear brake pads (or should I say metal slabs that, at one point in time, may have had braking material on them!). No problems, easy to do, but as I was installing the cotter pins on the holding pins, I noticed that the pad "spreader spring" had a kind of lip only on one end of it that covers the cotter pin. I had it at the higher (further back on the wheel rotation) end, and looking at it, reasoned I had it on backwards thinking the lip was probably there to protect the cotter pin from anything that might be thrown up from the road.

Am I correct in my thinking? Does my description make any sense to anybody? Guess I shoulda taken a pic to post to help with the description (or better yet, taken a picture before I took it apart so I wouldn't have to ask the question in the first place!)

·
Registered
656 Posts
lurch102 said:
Replaced my rear brake pads (or should I say metal slabs that, at one point in time, may have had braking material on them!). No problems, easy to do, but as I was installing the cotter pins on the holding pins, I noticed that the pad "spreader spring" had a kind of lip only on one end of it that covers the cotter pin. I had it at the higher (further back on the wheel rotation) end, and looking at it, reasoned I had it on backwards thinking the lip was probably there to protect the cotter pin from anything that might be thrown up from the road.

Am I correct in my thinking? Does my description make any sense to anybody? Guess I shoulda taken a pic to post to help with the description (or better yet, taken a picture before I took it apart so I wouldn't have to ask the question in the first place!)
The spreader spring is there to stop the brakes from chattering, I doubt anything sort of pulling that clip out will dislodge it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kra961 said:
The spreader spring is there to stop the brakes from chattering, I doubt anything sort of pulling that clip out will dislodge it
Right, got that. You'd have to loose both cotter pins and have a bunch of vibration before both pins would also go come out. I'm not worried about it happening, just curious why the one end of the spring is bent over that covers that cotter pin? Protecting it from debris is my only guess, and therefore I'm assuming it would have the covered end forward (since it's only on the one side), but that's just my uneducated guess, hence I'm asking the experts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You're likely right I didn't see any point in it when I swapped pads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts