BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new set of rear Corbone Lorrane pads from Beemerboneyard.com. The old one were down to less than 2mm. The job was fairly simple and took about 20 minutes. I have read the threads on Brake Bedding and was wondering how many of you actually go through this process.

Here is the instructions from a document on this forum. What road in Southern Cal can you possibly do this on?

"Make a series of eight near-stops from 60 to about 10 mph. Do it HARD by pressing on the brakes firmly, just shy of locking the wheels or engaging ABS.* At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph..After the 8th near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible.* The brakes need 5 to 10 minutes to cool down.* Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot."

About to go out in a bit and would really appreciate your input!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Sounds about right, did the basic same thing after installing EBC HH pads ... No sqeaks, no growling :bmw:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
For Carbone Lorraine pads, I would definitely follow the bed-in procedure. Not doing so may lead to squeal, both front and back. Also, make sure that you did NOT get the sport version of front pads. I did, and they squealed like a banshee 'til the dealer called the C.L. outfit and wuz told to change the pads to the touring versions. Invoice lists the following part number for the touring version: CL2430A3 - 2 sets.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
It is really hard to bed in the rears on an LT with integral brakes. There is so little braking force applied to the rear pads. Even if you use only the rear peddle the weight shifts forward the minute you hit them and the bulk of the force is then appplied to the front brakes. One draw back of this great braking system. Doesn't hurt to try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts