BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when to lunch, and when I stopped I noticed my rear brake dragging??? When I started back to the shop it was OK? But after Appling the rear brake firmly it didn't release completely?? After it sat for 7-8 minutes it turned loose??? Checked the brake line to be sure it had not become kinked, it's OK. Check the fluid level and it OK

Got any Thoughts???

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't think the pedal or air in the system would cause this. Two things come to mind -

1) the cable is bad and won't allow fluid to leave the caliper
2) the caliper piston is stuck - hey, it's 10yrs old. and if it was in contact with too much water over the years this could very well be.

First I'd make sure fluid easily comes out of the nipple, if it does then you can rule out any problems with your line. Then I'd remove the caliper and see if there is unusual resistance at the piston, if so just clean the piston walls.

good luck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had similar problem with my GS after sitting for a while. Simple matter of removing the caliper, cleaning and re-greasing pins. I do not see how the fluid is the problem if it worked fine before.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is not uncommon for the brake hose to cause this problem. The inside of the hose can collapse. The pressure you apply to the handle will overcome the bad spot in the hose. The fluid needs to flow freely. If you try to turn the wheel while the brake is stuck and at the same time that open the bleeder screw. If the wheel turns when the fluid comes out of the bleeder, the problem is the hose or master cylinder is not letting the the fluid return to the resevoir. If opening the bleeder doesn't help, it's the caliper that is hanging up. I would replace all the hoses if one is bad. Your bike is on its second decade of life already.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, what I found was that the system was full of air, but as I was bleeding I discovered that the line was leaking, so I’m guessing that that was the source of the air and that the line was bad preventing the fluid returning. I am having a stainless line made. I'll pick it up tomorrow and I'll let you know if the caliper is ok?

·
Registered
346 Posts
just had the same issue. Had to perform an emergency roadside rear brake-ectomy and limp home with it zip-tied to the saddlebag support bracket.
Mine turned out of be a bad brake line as well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again thanks for the replies. New brake line fixed it all plus gave back some of that feel that had been lost do to age, just forgot how good they should work. SS line made a big different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts