BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 LT has a stubborn brake light that stays on.
I have pulled the tupperware and fuel tank off. Found the relay for the brake light, verified it was operational. With the relay out, the brake light went out. Put it back in, same problem. The front brake switch, rear brake switch and clutch lever all "Click" when operated.
I realize a "Click" only indicates the internal actuator is moving but will not indicate a stuck set of contacts.
The Clymer guide for this model suggests unhooking the wire connectors for the above mentioned controls in the electrical connections box under the tank to check continuity and function of the switches.

So far have been unable to trace the wires back to any connectors. What a birds nest in there.

Any ideas on where I might find these elusive connectors?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had/have the same problem and have replaced both of the micro switches in the brakes. And like you.. I found that the relay was working fine and not sticking at all. I thought for awhile that it was licked but have had it a couple of times recently.

Here are a couple of thoughts. I have added into the rear lighting system the following things over the last 15 months of owning the '99. I installed a pair of Hyper Lites and didn't notice anything wrong with the brake lights at first. But I have noticed in testing (fiddling with it when they stay on after a ride) that if I apply the brakes and don't let the Hyper Lites go through the blinking and then staying on routine, they sometimes will stick on. That has led me to believe that it is not a mechanical thing like the relay or micro switches malfunctioning, but something electrical like a small amount of current on the line from something I have added.

I also have added the running light kit that makes the blinkers in front and back into running lights. At the present time something is haywire on Old 99 as that circuit is not working.

So I have to tear into the bike in a couple of days and get here naked so I can search out the culprit. If I come up with anything, I will post it here.

Good Luck in your search and fix.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Ole Toad ('99 model) had the same brake light ailment coupla years ago. Brake light stayed on even after bars were locked and key removed. Replaced what seemed to be a functioning relay with a new one, and all wuz golden. Relay cost wuz ~10 bones. Around that same time frame, two other LTs (both '00 models) in the area experienced the same problem and were remedied with relay replacements. Not betting that solution would give you a proper fix, but I sure would make the swap - pita tho it is!! Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Look for number 2 for the front and pull the foot plate off for the rear brake switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I had the same symptoms. A functioning relay will turn the brake light off. On this LT, I have had 2 failed relays that "clicked" when energized.

I'm with Dick from Boerne. Replace the relay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem.

Problem was found at the rear brake pedal micro switch.
The way these switches are configured, the plunger is held "IN" for the "OFF" position.
when you activate the appropriate control, the plunger is released to the "ON" position.

Seems the LAST TIME it got away from me while attempting to get it on the center stand is when it happened.
The bike went over on the right side and the brake pedal had flexed enough to push the actuator sheet metal to the side of the plunger. It allowed the plunger to extend and then trapped it in the "ON" position.
The clicking sound on the rear brake when depressed came from the sheet metal actuator.

Thanks for everyone's input, all of the information is useful.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Good find! I would have bet it was in the ignition switch...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts