BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Near the end of a ~120mi ride today, I lost the rear brake. Reservoir empty- filling and attempting to gravity/pump bleed resulted in a little puddle under the bike. Tearing it down, I found the hose leaving the rear master to be the culprit. Leaking at the red arrow. I think the other end is the blue arrow. Is this a common failure? I know all the hoses are probably due for a refresh (2001 w/ 38k mi - new to me bike) but I need a quick fix for now. Wouldn't mind buying a full stainless
set that included this hose - recommendations? Good tips to bleed this system once I have it together? We have a week long tour planned in about 10 days- so time is tight.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,916 Posts
If one is leaking the rest are not far behind. Best get a set of Spiegler brake lines. 2001 is where BMW made the switch from ABS II to iABS. What lettering is on your front calipers? If it is "Brembo" the change out and bleed is easy, if "BMW" the change out is about the same but the bleed is more complex. Those are well over 20 years old brake lines and an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the forum @rborder !

Since you mentioned the possibility of buying a set of stainless hoses we can all assume you have not done the braided line upgrade.

The stock brake lines do FREQUENTLY leak, to the point of they are a danger to continue riding on. This is one of the first and more important upgrades that need to be done to these old bikes. Don't hope to get another season out of them. Replace them now before they seperate while you are riding and you lose all braking power. Search the forum and you can find several write ups about doing this upgrade.

As a new owner / member please look into Kirk Johnson and his video library here is one of his videos. They are very informative.

He has a Youtube channel you can subscribe to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am going to try and get the Spiegler kit delivered and installed. Looks like the hose that failed might be the most difficult to access.

I have Brembo calipers, so hopefully it won't be too hard to bleed.

That YouTube channel has already been very helpful. I have only had this bike a few weeks- so I am just getting it sorted out- still lots to learn about it. So far, I've been really impressed with it.

I'll post an update when I get it fixed :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Welcome to the forum and as the guys have said replace those lines ASAP. I did mine not long after I bought my 05 LT. It took about 5 hours and the bleeding wasn't rally that hard. I had a friend help me bleed the circuits but I have flushed it a couple of times since and have figured out how to do it by myself and it get's quicker every time you do it. The important thing to remember with these ABS systems is to flush them at least every 12 months. It keeps the system in better condition.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,916 Posts
Yes your bleed will be simple fluid in to the handle bar reservoir and fluid out the front calipers. Fluid in the rear (under seat) reservoir, fluid out the rear caliper (two ports). If it feels spongy then pull fluid from the ports on top of the ABS until bubbles are gone. .

Automotive fuel system White Motor vehicle Black Automotive air manifold

Reactions: djmellor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm Spiegler'd

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Product

Only mishap was stripping the Allen head on this banjo (above). Managed to heat it up and vice grip it out. New replacement required.

Hose below is the one that failed.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,916 Posts
I'll bet that the brakes feel much stronger now without the old "ballooning" rubber lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts