BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted under K1200/1300 bikes BY MISTAKE sorry!

My bike is a 2005 K1200LT pre-owned and without a service manual.. I just got back from a two day blast through highways #97 Vancouver to Osoyoos then #33 from Osoyoos to Rock Creek then to Kelowna in British Columbia. Lots of switch backs and speed braking. When I shut the bike down and then restarted a few minutes later I had the brake fail light start flashing "double time" until I rolled about 5 feet then all was OK. I checked the brake fluid on the handlebar and it was full however the rear reservoir behind the side bag looked like there was nothing in it. I rocked the bike to see if I could see fluid moving but can't determine if it is full or empty. Brakes are working fine but fearful that I may loose rear braking at a critical point. Cannot find the fill point for the rear brake reservoir. Can anyone help please? Is it necessary to remove the rear seat or side panels? Randy ( by the way if anyone is interested this section of highway is unbelievable on a bike!!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Randy, Take the rear seat off and open the right saddle bag. There is an opening toward the front of the right saddle bag where you can see the rear brake reservoir level. It is easier to see the level if you shine a flashlight from behind the reservoir. If you need fluid you can reach down from the top, hold the reservoir with one hand and screw the top off with the other. There are min and max marks on the plastic reservoir cup. When you take the cap off be ready to retain the rubber in the screw cap.

The flashing ABS lights sound normal until you reach a speed of around 5mph.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
There are four separate reservoirs on the 05 and up model. The two that you have the hardest time checking are on the ABS/Servo unit and are monitored with float switches that will cause a wig wag warning light all the time (not just at start up). Usually when this happens the pads are worn and need replacement (05 and up only). The handle bar and rear seat reservoirs are not monitored but they do not drop due to pad wear since they are the "control" circuit that sends pressure signals to the ABS/Servo unit. If those drop then you have a leak.

Watch the lights again next t ime you start the bike. You should see a very fast wigwag for a few seconds then it will shift to slow until you roll a few feet. Those are the two self tests the system performs. Brakes must not be applied during the "fast" portion of the test or it will not complete and shift to slow. The slow wig wag just means you have not completed the rolling test of the wheel sensors. But if the slow wig wag remains as you drive down the road - check your pads for wear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I knew I shouldn't answer a technical question. Missed the year of the bike. (still on first cup of coffee) Thanks to John for jumping in to correct my oversight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts