BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change the rear brake fluid for my '99 LT. In the manual it says to remove right-hand battery cover.

Could someone please explain where this is on the bike. I have not had the bike apart and am trying to find where the rear brake fluid reservoir is.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
G'day Colin,
The reservoir is a bit difficult to see and get to... It is located just forward of the rear pannier and from recollection, I think that I had to remove the passenger seat (at the very least lift the riders seat) to get to it. It is a bit awkward to get the top off without stripping tupperware but do-able...

HTH

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ian. Is that the left or right pannier? and what does the sucker look like?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just topped up my rear reservoir today. It was at MIN although pads still have 6 mm each.

I used s drinking straw with my thumb over the end to transfer small amounts into the reservoir without spilling. There is probably a more elegant way but this seemed to work for the small amount that I had to add.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi I will try to put a picture of what i use to fill the rear master cylinder . it is a cheep mustard bottle with a peace of O2 hose on it ...patric ...
P.S. well that didn't work , I take a snap shot tomorrow ...

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi ,here is Try # two for a picture of my rear brake fluid filler invention...patric ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Cool ideas - somebody posted a few months ago about using a large syringe to fill the reservoir. Also, if I recall, somebody a few years ago talked about drilling a small hole in the tupperware so that they could view the level in the rear reservoir without removing the tupperware or the rear seat.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts