BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive noticed that the rear brake disk has become loose.Has this happened to anyone else. I know that there are two or three retaining screws holding the disk onto the shaft.Do I need to buy new screws when replacing them. Is it as simple as taking it off and tightning them.
Any comments welcome
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Paul, I assume you are talking of the "Cowbell" effect on the rear disc. While I am far from an expert, I believe that the rear disc needs to be replaced, the bolts go through rivets and they (the rivets) tend to work loose, which causes the "Cowbell" effect.

I replaced mine with an "EBC" rear replacement disc, I believe about half the price of OEM, and works very well, I also replaced pads at the same time.

Search site FAQ for instructions on "How" to do the work of changing it out, The abs ring needs to be moved ovet to the new rotor. This can be a challenge, so instructions will be very helpful.

HTH,

·
Registered
457 Posts
yes it needs replaced if you don't like the cowbell, otherwise keep on riding. I tried to replace mine with an EBC rotor and after 3 rotors sent to my house and returned I gave up on EBC. Every disc I got from them was out of spec. The disc's were not warped but rather different thicknesses around the disc.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Jabrown said:
yes it needs replaced if you don't like the cowbell, otherwise keep on riding. I tried to replace mine with an EBC rotor and after 3 rotors sent to my house and returned I gave up on EBC. Every disc I got from them was out of spec. The disc's were not warped but rather different thicknesses around the disc.
What did you end up going with if not EBC? Back to BMW? I need to pull the trigger on something. How long ago was this? Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
dglenn1 said:
What did you end up going with if not EBC? Back to BMW? I need to pull the trigger on something. How long ago was this? Thanks
I still have the cowbell. Play is not as bad as it sounds. I don't see the disc failing anytime soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The rear disk is a "floating" disk. Per my dealer, a little play should be ok.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
Jabrown said:
I still have the cowbell. Play is not as bad as it sounds. I don't see the disc failing anytime soon.
Do keep an eye on it. I had gotten used to my cowbell, but when they did the clutch on my LT it had gotten so bad that the disk had started wearing a groove into the swing arm. A new EBC rotor and pads solved it for me.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You'd have to search, but I seem to recall a little RTV Silicone works to silence it. It provides some dampining of noise and still flexibility.

Make sure the surfaces are clean + dry and I would recommend leaving it 24 hours to cure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts