BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue with my rear brakes yesterday - a dragging pad heated up and locked up the brakes as I pulled off the interstate at rush hour. Performed an emergency brake-ectomy and tied the caliper to the sidebag frame and limped home with just the front brake.

Now, as I'm getting ready to tear into it, I notice that the two bolts I removed to get the caliper off are different, one looks normal and one has what looks like a washer/flare as part of the face of the bolt. Anybody know which goes where?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe they both have washers - the longer one goes in the back IIRC.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I just took mine apart. 99' with Brembo brakes and should be the same as yours. I saw no flare, but the longer caliper bolt (not quite 1/8" longer), installs to rear of cycle, with shorter bolt to front. Both are washered.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
lurch102 said:
Had an issue with my rear brakes yesterday - a dragging pad heated up and locked up the brakes as I pulled off the interstate at rush hour. Performed an emergency brake-ectomy and tied the caliper to the sidebag frame and limped home with just the front brake.

Now, as I'm getting ready to tear into it, I notice that the two bolts I removed to get the caliper off are different, one looks normal and one has what looks like a washer/flare as part of the face of the bolt. Anybody know which goes where?

Thanks for your help
Since I know exactly what you are saying as I just did the rear pads.

Yes both have a washer, BUT one is machined on the bolt, the other comes off.

I reasoned (right or wrong) that the machined surface would mate to the forward machined part of the caliper. I did not notice a difference in length when comparing shoulder to shoulder.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. Yeah, both have washers (and I didn't lose either on the side of the road!), but one's definitely longer mostly from what seems to be the enlongated head.

Thanks for the quick response from all of you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts