BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a cost effective turnkey systems out there that cover North America? I want my family to be able to see where I am on LD rides, so it need to be WEB based.

Any other options? Im just starting my research so any pointers in the right direction would be great.

Dave

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
... depends what you want it for ... in the UK, there are several vehicle solutions (search for tracker on UK google) - we use a cell phone tracking system for personel - our guys work alone in hazardous/remote locations and we can track them (or be big brother :eek: ) using a couple of comercially available UK systems, I'm sure equivalents must be available in the States.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Edgar Tanner Where Are You

I hope Edgar Tanner checks in here. He had one that he used when he road all 48 states earlier this year. For the life of me I can't remember the name. :(

·
Registered
6,424 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Several of the riders on the IBR were using this system, and the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum had a group buy going. Pretty sure it is the same system Edgar Tanner used on his 48++

https://www.star-traxx.com/

PS. You can check out the IBR routes run by clicking on each bike on the page, and it will show it's route.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You can check several motorcycle rallys on the Star-Traxx site. Pretty sure Edgar is rider 4 on the 48 plus page, the only one who picked up Mexico in the process.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
That's the one David!! Excellent memory!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Nextel

Check out Nextel. It's possible to track most units on a web site. Vehicles location, how fast it is moving and every place it stopped for the past 48 hours.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Toura-Tech has some information regarding a Sat unit that runs off the bike, and you can use there online map to for family/freinds to track you as you travel.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Starr-Trax option

I used Starr-Trax as David said. Although I didn't get the link pulled this morning I did go into Mexico on my 48+(+). I like the system. It is essentially invisible unless you want someone (or selected someones) to know where you are via a web link or email message. You can also send intentional signals that are predetermined to contact your spouse or emergency personnel.

I've thought about leasing out my unit since I don't use it on a daily basis. If anyone is interested in such a discussion I'd work out some details. It is a fairly expensive buy-in initially.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts