BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read responses to Timm1' thread on an oil dipstick, all comments about a high pitched whine said this is typical. What bothers me is that it gets louder as the day goes on and I have a fairly quiet helmet. The whine I hear is between 60-65mph, but only in 5th gear. The same speed in lower gears it's either not there or much more quiet. Not having ridden another LT it's hard to compare.
I've read in other theads over the years that the whine is normal, but when it gets louder over time, it just seems like it could be an alternator or timing chain wear issue. So, really, every LT has this loud whine?
It's a '99LT with ~65K on clock.

Thanks for any supporting or un-supporting input,

Jer

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the assurance. Just seems like it's getting worse. If something breaks, I'll fix or have it fixed. I'd really like to know WHAT is whinning, though.

Coming into a small, sleepy town the other morning, a family was sitting on the front porch. Coming up to the railroad tracks, next to the house, I downshift into 2nd with a CLUNK! Over the tracks ... rattle, rattle, rattle ... they all look up at me ... you'd have thought I was coming through on a Harley. :rotf:
And this is a family that's use to trains passing right next to the house. :histerica

Thanks again,
Jer

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I think the only way you're going to know for sure is to get with other LT riders at a tech session or local riders group or CCR and compare. It is possible after 13 years something is getting old.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Either you don't have the radio load enough or you ride alone. Take my wife with you and you really know what an annoying whine sounds like. A single guy must of invited the intercom. Just kidding dear!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Jer,
If you think about it, the engine/mechanical gear rpm whine is common to every gear. The uncommon factor is the drive output, final drive, and of course wheel speed..My inital thought on a unique whine at 60 to 65 mph would be tires...a common noise maker on all vehicles...consider also that the longer you run at speed, the higher the temperature of the tire and air inside them....which may cause some slight changes in the pressure and possible shape of the surface of the tire, which could make for more whining....How are your tires? due for a change yet? just my 2c

·
Registered
593 Posts
amindtat said:
Clearly the problem with your bike is that you don't have the radio on loud enough. ;)
+1

Either you don't have the radio load enough or you ride alone. Take my wife with you and you really know what an annoying whine sounds like. A single guy must of invited the intercom. Just kidding dear! :histerica :histerica

WOW!! guess your wife doesnt read these boards?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too funny. All great input to make my day. Tunes are almost always pumped into my ears with earFuze and Neotec helmet is as quiet as they come.
The tires are fairly new; rear has ~3k and front has ~7k. I've gotten 11k rear and 20k front on the last set of Metz.
Makes a lot of sense that the engine/gearing/drive train/tires all contribute, and the days it was most pronounced were hot ones.
I'll just keep riding it (99% 1-up and I like it that way)!

Thanks all,
Jer

·
Registered
11 Posts
jers99lt said:
The whine I hear is between 60-65mph, but only in 5th gear. The same speed in lower gears it's either not there or much more quiet.
My '01 does the exact same thing.
Doesn't make sense that it's tire-related, since it doesn't whine in 4th gear at the same speeds.

JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Jer, I do not worry about the whine or final drive anymore. The clunking you hear at tracks is probably the caliper clunking on its mounts. I think they call it cow bell. Mine does it and you can shake the caliper. I do not worry about this either. Just trying to keep the speed down. Tim

·
Registered
787 Posts
My wife does not read this forum. She loves to ride with me and loves to talk while we ride. She forgets the things she has told me so I here them over and over again. I ordered a intercom cord with built in volume control and crank it down so that I can just barely here her so when she says," can you here me are you listening," I can say yes dear very interesting please continue. Wouldn't want to ride without her she is the best woman in the world.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I've had three different LTs since 2004 and the current one has the engine from the first one. All of them have whined. The only difference is how much. And as I fatigue during the day I find all the noises get louder. Of course I may be older than you, so my tolerance level may not be as high as yours. :D

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
timm1 said:
Hi Jer, I do not worry about the whine or final drive anymore. The clunking you hear at tracks is probably the caliper clunking on its mounts. I think they call it cow bell. Mine does it and you can shake the caliper. I do not worry about this either. Just trying to keep the speed down. Tim
the caliper is fixed, the rotor floats. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Jer;

Just out of pure curiosity, and not to start and old, old, old, old thread.
Have you changed the trans oil lately?
My k100 whined all the time, this one (02 lt) has a whine too, but has never changed much over the last 245k on her.

Zeke

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Is she whining or is she singing to you?.............. :D

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zeke said:
Just out of pure curiosity, and not to start and old, old, old, old thread.
Have you changed the trans oil lately?
14wntr said:
I thought the whining was due to the flat cut gears in the transmission? Could be that once the oil thins out it gets louder.
I last put syntetic gear oil (Havoline, I believe) in ~4k mi ago. I did change brands. I didn't notice the whine when I was using Redline Shockproof Heavy. Redline products are hard to find off the shelf near me. I usually have to order it through AutoZone. I do recall when going to Redline, the shifts were smoother and a bit less ckunky. I guess I'm finding out the difference.

Thanks all,
Jer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.