BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
OK, I know nothing of where some of this stuff is on the LT.

On the way home tonight, my brake failure light started flashing. No, I didn't notice if it went out when I started up. I'm assuming it went out as normal and then came on as I was riding. And no, I failed to note if it was a 1 HZ flash or a 4 HZ. I didn't realize that was important at the time.

I also read a thread recently where people were saying their brake reservoir had to be completely topped off the keep the light from flashing. I would think that since the brake fluid system is sealed, i.e. air tight, there shouldn't be any need to top it off unless it is leaking. Mine isn't leaking.

Things I checked.
  1. If with my handle bars locked to the left and I shine a light on the little plastic cap on the brake fluid indicator, I don't see any bubbles, nor does it look empty. If the level were low, where would I put in additional brake fluid?
  2. I just read the brake bleeding 101 article and someone else's comments that it looked like it would work for the 05s. I don't like maybe's or guesses. I need to know if it will work for my 05 LT. (BTW, I didn't recognize much of anything on those pictures. I wish someone would realize that more pictures are better, starting with an overall shot that indicates the general area, and then zoom into the specifics.
I realize that I'm a real novice in servicing my LT. I've been working on autos including brakes for over 40 years. This is my first motorcycle, so I'm learning. Any other ideas?

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Check this thread for the details you are looking for, including pics.

And the brake fluid level can drop as the pads wear. So first check the brake pads to make sure they're not worn too far, then top off the fluid. You need to keep both rear chambers up at the max line, not below, as the level sensors are pretty sensitive. Keep in mind that when you do put in new brake pads, they will push the pistons back and you may get a little fluid out the overflow hose. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Top up the brake fluid (rear resevoir too) and I would put money on the fact that the light will go out.
Where does the fluid go ? It doesn't need to be down by much to activate the light -----soooo --- as your brake pads wear------

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Hal,

The recent post on Brake bleeding 101 for the RS shows the ABS(pump) unit that the 05 uses. The biggest difference is that the wheel circuit reservoir is directly on the unit. Seeing as how you have the Hannigan trike set up I would suspect that more fluid is used (moved) from the reservoir to support the wear of the rear brakes than for the normal single rear disc on the basic bike. May just need to top off the reservoir.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confused about brakes

:)
Meese, thanks for your reply. The pictures really help. I had no idea where the reservoir was located. The pics really help.
Ok, so brake pad wear and rear brake wear can cause the fluid to drop in the reservoir? That makes complete sense.

Thanks guys for the help.
:D

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
No problem. That's what we're here for. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Hal,

The picture KL340040 in Ken's post is good for the 05 as well. The rear control circuit reservoir has no sensor. The rear wheel circuit reservoir (with a sensor) is on the ABS pump unit itself. That is located on the other side of the battery. See the post "ABS Flushing and Bleeding 101", there is a good photo of the unit and the rear circuit reservoir is the shorter, inboard one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reservoir

I was also unable to view the level in my front reservoir. I removed the cover and the rubber cover ( dont know correct name) in the reservoir was boogered up and covering the sight glass. Straightened it out and now I can see it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts