BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who just couldn't "Just Say No" and succumbed to the wiles of the GT/GTL, what are your MPG results? I'm guessing it suffers the first thousand miles or so until you find the perfect aerodynamic position for whent he front wheel's off the ground? I'm getting closer to falling to peer pressure, but haven't quite given in yet....

·
Registered
616 Posts
I get high 30's in general on my GTL.

The mileage is highly speed-dependent. On a tank where I'm 70 and under consistently, I will get 42-43-ish.

I just got back from a 5K mile trip out west where I averaged high 30's. A lot of that was "just get there" miles where I had to cover a lot of miles ASAP, including a long stretch of I10 at 80-ish in unbelievable wind and the long stretch of lonely US50 through the Nevada and Utah basins "at speed". About half of the trip was 2-up fully loaded; the other half was 1-up and almost fully loaded. One those stretches I was getting low 30's and even high 20's. I got well over 40 on several tanks through the middle of the trip in the twisties.

I seem to be at the lower end of the mpg results. I know katnapinn tends to get over 40, and I think DanDiver does too. My mileage does seem to be a little better now (11K miles) than it was early on. I pretty much always have all the bags on. I think others tend to ride with some/all bags off unless they're on the road, so I suspect that may reduce drag and help mileage. Also, I believe Dan uses Rain mode a lot, and that no doubt helps mileage.

So YMMV.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When breaking in I was getting under 35, varying speeds a lot. With 1300 miles I'm around 37.5 Seems "road" mode better on gas than "dynamic"...I'm probably doing a lot of throttle twisting in dynamic because I like to! Saw 40 mpg once on 160 mile run. It's about the same as I got on my LT...never saw 40 on that beast.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Reid said:
When breaking in I was getting under 35, varying speeds a lot. With 1300 miles I'm around 37.5 Seems "road" mode better on gas than "dynamic"...I'm probably doing a lot of throttle twisting in dynamic because I like to! Saw 40 mpg once on 160 mile run. It's about the same as I got on my LT...never saw 40 on that beast.
+1 I ride in Dynamic 99% of the time and I like to feel the pull.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just looked at fuel consumption modes. I just ran a couple of hundred miles and reset the log coming home. My fuel consumption was 43.2 on the interstate at 70 to 75 mph solo w/o top case. My overall fuel use since the bike was new has been 43.8. All solo riding with some playing around at speed. I tend to not go nuts jacking the gas as I like to avoid meeting people I may know that wear a badge and Smokey the bear type hat.

Rick H.

·
Registered
208 Posts
lurch102 said:
For those of you who just couldn't "Just Say No" and succumbed to the wiles of the GT/GTL, what are your MPG results? I'm guessing it suffers the first thousand miles or so until you find the perfect aerodynamic position for whent he front wheel's off the ground? I'm getting closer to falling to peer pressure, but haven't quite given in yet....
I tend to get low 40's, don't really wind it up too often (not needed, it's a rocket anyway!!), but I tend to ride about ten miles over the speed limit, which keeps me with the bulk of traffic. Slower, and everyone is passing me (dangerous), faster and I'd still be being passed by the ten to fifteen percent that are really in a hurry, but more likely to pick up a speeding ticket.

In real world terms: My wife's last two R1200RT's got the best fuel mileage of anything we've owned, about 5-10% less fuel at every stop than either my GTL or my previous K1200GT, which get very similar mileage. Both my GTL and my previous GT get about ten percent better milage than my R1200GS-A at interstate speeds, although they tend to be similar during stop and go local riding. My previous goldwings were real gas hogs in comparison. When riding with my wife's RT, my wings would always take 30-50 % more fuel at every stop. (even that is good compared to my "touring bike conversions of sport bikes" that rode during the mid 1980's, which rarely got better than the mid 20's MPG)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, In my Normal riding around town ...to work ...etc....I get low 40's. On a recent trip, 200 miles, I got 44 mpg. A lot better that my Ford Ranger. :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
It seems that lately, mostly in town riding and maybe 25% on interstate, in the Rain mode, I'm getting 37-40 pretty consistently. If I spend more time on the interstate, it will go up to ~42.

Just last week though, in the Road mode, traveling only back roads in a rural setting, I noticed that I was getting a little over 50 ! Probably got 350 miles to that tank. I was in 6th gear and probably running around 45-60 MPH.

The bike can really scoot though and when it is in Dynamic and you are riding hard, expect the mileage to drop. 30 MPG is not unheard of..

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Most economic on a tank full: 1 litre at 21.4 km (50.2 mpg US / 60.4 mpg Imp)

Least economic (E10 fuel, 10% ethanol): 1 litre at 14.2 km (33.4 mpg US / 40.2 mpg Imp)

Average over 11400 km: 1 litre at 16.4 km (38.6 mpg US / 46.4 mpg Imp)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have no idea. I'm having too much fun riding the heck out of it and fill it up when needed. I think I saw 38 or so when flipping through the menu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first trip was from Endras BMW Ajax, Ontario to St. Mary's PA did the RoadRunner Magazine's Shamrock Tour approx 2000 Km.
Best was 56,worst 43 and the average is 50.6 mpg
American fuel gives ~ 100km more per tank range than the best Canada has to sell.
Best results Sunoco Super Unleaded. All value are combined City/ Hwy driving.

·
Registered
659 Posts
SlyDogless said:
My first trip was from Endras BMW Ajax, Ontario to St. Mary's PA did the RoadRunner Magazine's Shamrock Tour approx 2000 Km.
Best was 56,worst 43 and the average is 50.6 mpg
American fuel gives ~ 100km more per tank range than the best Canada has to sell.
Best results Sunoco Super Unleaded. All value are combined City/ Hwy driving.
That's rather incrdible mpg! These imperial gallons?

·
Registered
16 Posts
overall average last 3,000 miles is 40.5 mpg. Have gotten as much as 44.5 on a tank and as low as 38 on a tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts