BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that so many members of this forum (and other forums too) do not put their real name in their biography? It's hard to be "friends" with someone when you don't even know there name. I have my real name on several forums (it's even my forum name) and have never had a problem.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Like My GOOD Friend Al ,I too have my name on this a many other forums. I've done this for over 10 years with zero to very little trouble with anyone "finding" me for evil purpose. I'm not a paranoid type of person... What, Who said that ?!?! Are you following me ?!!? What are you doing ??!!? Sorry my evil twin took over for a moment.

At the very least put your first name in your signature so when you post something we know what to call you when we respond besides "Hey Dumb Ass".
As far as my screen goes about ten years ago my wife & I thought about opening a Bed & Breakfast and we were going to call it "The Kat Nap Inn". I registered that domain name & started using it and most of my online friends know it so I keep using it. <!-- / message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: vbseo_likeshare -->

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been "online" since the days of dial-up BBS systems and part of the fun was picking a nickname. I've made many friends over the past few decades that have remained friends even in the real world. I never recall anybody having a hard time becoming a friend because I didn't give them my real name. On the contrary, people I have known for decades starting back in the BBS days still refer to me as a long-time BBS handle in the real world.

Not to mention, after spending some time in the motorcycle club world it was common for me to meet and build relationships with people on a nickname basis, often times not learning real names for some times or in some cases there are people in my memories that I only recall by nickname and I'm not sure I ever knew their "real" name.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"

Reactions: ibbones

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
I guess that there are many people who are somewhat paranoid about disclosing anything about themselves, and then there are those who likes being offensive in their posts, and therefore don't want to disclose their real identity!

I have been online for a very long time, starting in the very early '80s with the "electronic BBS" (FIDO, RHYME), back when 1200 baud modem was the leading edge, and I had never hid my real identity!

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it means anything, my friends all call me Whiskey. IMHO real names don't really matter. I come from the old school internet days too where an online identity was always separate from a real identity. Facebook requires real names, hasn't really changed anything.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I belong to another motorcycle forum where I attend quite a few events, so I know lots of members by both their real names and screen names. When we meet with other members the guys seem to refer to other members 50% of the time by their screen names while the wives use the real names 100% of the time. In my case my screen name is my real name.

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Some of our forum participants like to use a "handle" (like mine - JNW003, my first car's license plate number on a '53 MGTD) instead of their real name; some use real names; and others use a handle and include their real names in the signature area.

After attending my first CCR ('14 in Chattanooga), I had made a recommendation that CCR name tags include both the attendee's real name and their BMW LT forum handles, if different than their real name. Although this wasn't acted upon, this change would have enabled me as a new CCR attendee, to feel more at home instead of in a room full of strangers. Even after my second CCR, I found that I missed opportunities while at Coeur d'Alene to associate name/handles/faces. :thumb:

Reactions: ibbones

·
Registered
453 Posts
While I do not have anything to hide, (ok perhaps an expanding waistline!) I prefer not to use my real name in forums.

Also my handle / "Biker Name" was given to me by some friends, and I quite like it. Once, a long time ago, my friends were talking about giving me a "Biker Name" after they had come up with a few of the normal variations on my name, I said if they came up with something new - I would use it. They came up with "Sleuth" as it was new I have used it (or a slight variant) thereafter.

If I get to know somebody, or meet face to face, then I will share my real life name.

Until then Sleuth it is and will be!

Best regards
Sleuth

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
938 Posts
my first car's license plate number on a '53 MGTD
Way off topic, but this immediately sent me down memory lane to when I was in single digits .. my Dad had an MGTD and a MGTF as daily drivers (not at the same time) ... I have always had an affinity for those beautiful cars &#55357;&#56397;&#55356;&#57339;

Back on topic, I have never hid my name either, but have had people assume my last name was a handle of some sort and question what it means &#55357;&#56835;

Reactions: JNW003

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Like My GOOD Friend Al ,I too have my name on this a many other forums. I've done this for over 10 years with zero to very little trouble with anyone "finding" me for evil purpose. I'm not a paranoid type of person... What, Who said that ?!?! Are you following me ?!!? What are you doing ??!!? Sorry my evil twin took over for a moment.

At the very least put your first name in your signature so when you post something we know what to call you when we respond besides "Hey Dumb Ass".
As far as my screen goes about ten years ago my wife & I thought about opening a Bed & Breakfast and we were going to call it "The Kat Nap Inn". I registered that domain name & started using it and most of my online friends know it so I keep using it. <!-- / message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: vbseo_likeshare -->
I like my forum name! Those who have met me know my real name, it's also in my profile. I've had numerous, silly nicknames over the years. what about my roman name "Bennyous Bobbyous?" Or my Woodstock era name "A C big daddy rabbit uncle magnificent Benji hangin' tough in the morning sun?" Reminds me of the "Ya doesn't have to call me Johnson," routine. And here I thought Stevie calling me "Hey Dumb Ass" was a term of endearment.:crying: Either way, if you want me to call you Arfaxad, I may shorten it to Arf, Just don't be offended if I don't use your real name. >:)

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
This string inspired me to figure out how to update my signature. It took me a bit as I did not know the signature was where to add information. First (real ) name and motorcycles owned. So this is my story and I am sticking with it .

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well......... Gunny is not my real name but everyone who knows me calls me that. Only at the doctor's office is where thet=y use my real name. My mother doesn't even use my name as it appears on my birth certificate.

Long story short. I spent 22 years in the Marine Corps and retired with the rank of Gunnery Segeant, was one for about 8 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts