BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was laying on the floor changing the oil on my 05 LT today, I noticed that my other bike, 02 K1200RS, was leaking oil from the rubber boot in front of the rear drive. The rear drives on the RS and LT appear to be the same, at least on the outside. Does this mean the drive is ready to fail or just a bad seal? I have read some of the threads on this, but it is not clear. I have an extended warranty so I don't want the dealer/insurance co. to limit the repairs to the seal if in fact I need to replace the drive.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
schulze said:
While I was laying on the floor changing the oil on my 05 LT today, I noticed that my other bike, 02 K1200RS, was leaking oil from the rubber boot in front of the rear drive. The rear drives on the RS and LT appear to be the same, at least on the outside. Does this mean the drive is ready to fail or just a bad seal? I have read some of the threads on this, but it is not clear. I have an extended warranty so I don't want the dealer/insurance co. to limit the repairs to the seal if in fact I need to replace the drive.
Leaking from the boot is only a pinion seal gone bad, not an indicator of the large crown bearing going bad. The bikes can run a LONG time with leaking pinion seals, just keep oil in it and put a little catch tray under it in your garage. :D :D. Replace the seal when it is convenient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts