BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 LT, "Dark metallic graphite" over lighter grey. The bottom paint is a matte finish and has not faired well (no pun intended) in the battle against small pebbles/road debris and on one side when the beast flopped over in the Condor "can't possibly fall over" bike chock.

So I was washing the bike this weekend and thinking, "it would be a gigantic waste of time and effort to try and use touch up paint on the dozens and dozens of tiny rock dings on the front lower fairing, at some point, I'll probably have to have all of the bottom tupperware sprayed."

Then I wondered, "what would this look like if the bottom tupperware was a different color?" Clearcoated black perhaps? One of the reasons I've always really liked the silver LT's is that the top and bottom "halves" if you will are visually the same color, maybe matching top and bottom with the same dark metallic graphite? Hell, maybe an old-fashioned flame job?

Anyone changed colors on the bottom half? Pics to share?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Wonder what colors they have for Rhino Bed Liner in a rattle can?? :cool:

petevandyke said:
I have an '04 LT, "Dark metallic graphite" over lighter grey. The bottom paint is a matte finish and has not faired well (no pun intended) in the battle against small pebbles/road debris and on one side when the beast flopped over in the Condor "can't possibly fall over" bike chock.

So I was washing the bike this weekend and thinking, "it would be a gigantic waste of time and effort to try and use touch up paint on the dozens and dozens of tiny rock dings on the front lower fairing, at some point, I'll probably have to have all of the bottom tupperware sprayed."

Then I wondered, "what would this look like if the bottom tupperware was a different color?" Clearcoated black perhaps? One of the reasons I've always really liked the silver LT's is that the top and bottom "halves" if you will are visually the same color, maybe matching top and bottom with the same dark metallic graphite? Hell, maybe an old-fashioned flame job?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
petevandyke said:

(Hi-Jack)--- Hey Grif we got a nuthern with a warsh bucket !!! get the rope :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Pete... I'm going to put the rattle can bedliner like Dick suggested. Didn't have time to do the deed during last PM cycle... but will do it soon.. with all the rain, probably sooner than expected!!!

I have lots in this can to do several bikes I bet...

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cfell said:
Pete... I'm going to put the rattle can bedliner like Dick suggested. Didn't have time to do the deed during last PM cycle... but will do it soon.. with all the rain, probably sooner than expected!!!

I have lots in this can to do several bikes I bet...

wouldn't the stuff I can put on with a roller come out mo' betta?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I suppose the answer is "yes", Pete, a roller would put a thicker coat on... Can't hurt... and you can always "recoat" with the rattle can if you need to.. make sure you "prep" well.. you know, buff the paint well with a scotchbrite pad.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
cfell said:
I suppose the answer is "yes", Pete, a roller would put a thicker coat on... Can't hurt... and you can always "recoat" with the rattle can if you need to.. make sure you "prep" well.. you know, buff the paint well with a scotchbrite pad.
Ain't it hard to sniff off a roller?!?! :histerica

Lissen, 'fore this gits too far down the road, lemme tell ya the originator of using the bed liner in a rattle can. Yup, the Grif Scoot dude. I think he did Barbara's handle bar covers and some other skin locations. Looked great.

Y'all take some good pics, now. I might convince ole Toad to get a tat, too!!! :rolleyes: :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dick said:
Ain't it hard to sniff off a roller?!?! :histerica

Lissen, 'fore this gits too far down the road, lemme tell ya the originator of using the bed liner in a rattle can. Yup, the Grif Scoot dude. I think he did Barbara's handle bar covers and some other skin locations. Looked great.

Y'all take some good pics, now. I might convince ole Toad to get a tat, too!!! :rolleyes: :histerica

OK, tell me you're kidding now...teasing a guy with a brain tumor is like playing keep-away with the retarded kids on the playground!

seriously, has anyone re-painted the bottom section of their LT a color other than the stock light grey? lol

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
petevandyke said:
OK, tell me you're kidding now...teasing a guy with a brain tumor is like playing keep-away with the retarded kids on the playground!

seriously, has anyone re-painted the bottom section of their LT a color other than the stock light grey? lol
Siriusly - they have. Butt for the life of me, I can't get back to who.m...ever it wuz. Grif may know - he's still out delivering payroll, or cleaning out the shutdown shop.

BTW - I'd do it in a heartbeat, butt I'm so damn lazy lately, what with all the rain causing a back-up in my honey-do-do list. I hate bein' in a funk!!

Maybe we oughta do a 'group spray'!! :histerica (ok, so it's not hysterical :rolleyes: ). Your place, or Grif's?? :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Ok.. this is sounding like a Cat Herding roundup with the sprayin' and all...hehe..

Seriously, Pete.. no foolin... I have a rattle can of the spray goop I'm going to assault Misty with in the near future... I really DISLIKE the tire spray pattern on the center part of the fairing.

If you have some "roll on" stuff, that would be easier to apply than removing the fairing...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
cfell said:
Ok.. this is sounding like a Cat Herding roundup with the sprayin' and all...hehe..

Seriously, Pete.. no foolin... I have a rattle can of the spray goop I'm going to assault Misty with in the near future... I really DISLIKE the tire spray pattern on the center part of the fairing.

If you have some "roll on" stuff, that would be easier to apply than removing the fairing...
Yo, Channing --- slight tete-a-tete (don't know where to put them leetle umlaut thangies!). I know you know that one of the keys to successful painting results, is the 'prep' work. Being 'of age', I gotta tell ya I'd rather pull the lowers and work off-bike to prep 'em than to work on-bike. Got 'em off to 'prep' 'em, just would seem easier to hang 'em on a string and git-r-done.

BTW - I wuz thinkin' of just doin' the chin piece. Then I got to lookin' and ole Toad's side panels are just about as beat up as the chin. Guess I'll do the whole thang.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Hey, Dick! "message received" on the "prep once, paint once"...

You are correct about the "chin" part.. it really takes a beating! I'm surprised there isn't a longer fender xten-shun to cover that... hmmmmm.. sounds like an opportunity for a "cottage industry"...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
cfell said:

You are correct about the "chin" part.. it really takes a beating! I'm surprised there isn't a longer fender xten-shun to cover that... hmmmmm.. sounds like an opportunity for a "cottage industry"...
There is one for the LT, Channing. Takes some drilling into OEM, I think; and folks are loathe to do that. Least ole Toad won't lemme do it!! :eek:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
cfell said:

Gotcha' covered - for peanuts! (#4 in the pictures)

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=191291&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

(BTW, I ended up using black plastic christmas tree fasteners instead of the rivets, no worries about oxidation and a snap (literally) to install.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I added a "Fenda-Extenda" about a year ago. Instead of using the screws that were supplied to attach it, I used plastic pipe glue that can be found at any hardware store. Easy to apply, dried quickly and has held strong since. Makes a big difference on the front lower fairing. dwillie.

·
Registered
257 Posts
re-painting lower fairing

hi pete. I have a 03 LT in impala brown. two years ago wife went to the grand canyon and vegas. while riding around out west the front tire picks up sand from the road. when we got home it looked like some one sand blasted the lower tupper ware. I wanted a change so i went to a local custom paint shop(bikes-street rods ect.) they painted the 3 lower panels,the 2 strips on the bags,the 2 saddle bag latches and the 2 plastic egg crate pieces at the radiator discharge. they used House Of Kolor paint. BMW uses a high quality paint. i would stick with a custom paint or one from a high end car mfg. GM,Ford and Chrysler paint chips when held up to the bike look bland. the work cost $500.00. I like the way it looks,better yet the wife likes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Very Nice Dan!!! HOK makes some really cool paint - maybe a color shifting reptile skin like paint job....hmmmmm....

danbrown said:
hi pete. I have a 03 LT in impala brown. two years ago wife went to the grand canyon and vegas. while riding around out west the front tire picks up sand from the road. when we got home it looked like some one sand blasted the lower tupper ware. I wanted a change so i went to a local custom paint shop(bikes-street rods ect.) they painted the 3 lower panels,the 2 strips on the bags,the 2 saddle bag latches and the 2 plastic egg crate pieces at the radiator discharge. they used House Of Kolor paint. BMW uses a high quality paint. i would stick with a custom paint or one from a high end car mfg. GM,Ford and Chrysler paint chips when held up to the bike look bland. the work cost $500.00. I like the way it looks,better yet the wife likes it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts