41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
That was an easy repair and it is nice to have it working properly. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
sometime ago someone asked if this could be done to Ohlins, I tried it and it made a difference, I also had nitrogen gas added, that helped also. I have forgotten what pressure the nitrogen is used, I have an email from the factory with the info. It did add some life to my shock. You will have to find a MX shock repair shop to add the Nitro. Cost was $20.00 for gas fill.

Also you use a needle to add nitrogen, it has a rubber bladder inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did this shock reservoir refill. Thanks to all the super posts, I just saved a bundle on a new rear shock. I am astounded at the difference...it is almost shocking :) . Thanks guys. Harold

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My 4 year old WILBERS uses there own preload system, tho similar to the OEM one has gone FLAT with No adjustment possible. As others have said " No visible oil leak detected" .. where did it go ?
Going to do the same fix and get back my firmness for two up riding ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Before anybody runs off and buys Ohlins, check out Wilburs. For the K1200LT, heavier pistons, front (at least) is adjustable, and Wilbers builds custom for rider's weight and bike use. Sure like the front fork on Beano, the '05. And delightful to work with Wilbur.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I need. This

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
you need what

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I know this is an old post but I have an issue almost identical but one question that I couldn't see an answer to is ....
I have just found the preasure line hanging free and the banjo bolt missing. If I follow the instructions with the pre adjuster Plus put a shit tonne of weight on the seat to compress the shock itself, if I place the line into a container of oil, when I release the pressure , will it suck up the oil to refill the shock??

·
Registered
835 Posts
It looks like you are here in Australia, what part are you in. I'm in Brisbane. I had my shock rebuilt last year by a guy over on the south side. I removed it off the bike and took it to him. My adjuster was stripped and he replaced that and overhauled the shock all for $150. Well worth doing properly.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,668 Posts
Hi,
I know this is an old post but I have an issue almost identical but one question that I couldn't see an answer to is ....
I have just found the preasure line hanging free and the banjo bolt missing. If I follow the instructions with the pre adjuster Plus put a shit tonne of weight on the seat to compress the shock itself, if I place the line into a container of oil, when I release the pressure , will it suck up the oil to refill the shock??
That hose only operates the spring preload mechanism. You cannot "suck" oil into the actual shock absorber that way. If your shock has lost the damping oil then it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That hose only operates the spring preload mechanism. You cannot "suck" oil into the actual shock absorber that way. If your shock has lost the damping oil then it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
I'm not sure that's his question. Sounds like he's lost all the oil from his pre-load adjuster but he thinks it means his shock has lost its internal fluid. Would that be true? Or is it likely his shock is fine, and he just needs to refill the external?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm not sure that's his question. Sounds like he's lost all the oil from his pre-load adjuster but he thinks it means his shock has lost its internal fluid. Would that be true? Or is it likely his shock is fine, and he just needs to refill the external?
Those banjo bolts don't just fall out. Someone has either been messing with it previously and not done it up properly or it may have snapped off where it goes into the shock. Replacement or a rebuild of the shock are the only two options worth doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
All good, I tried it and it works fine...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone on the shock life expectancy post reminded me of this and I realized I needed to do it.. Took only about 15 minutes and helped my ride height tremendously. I had less than half the adjustment available to me.

1. Crank the preload all the way down to the stop. That's Counterclockwise..
Put the bike up on the center stand. This unloads the shock.

2. Unbolt the preload adjuster from the pivot mechanism and turn it hose up.
Notice now which way the hose is pointed on the bottom of the adjuster.

3. I used a 10" Crescent to hold the preload adjuster bracket while I backed out the banjo bolt at the bottom. (Watch out for the crush washers, You don't want to loose one at this time. )

4. The hose will naturally point up when it comes off the adjuster. Leave it pointing up so no oil will leak out.

5. With the preload adjuster all the way counterclockwise and upside down, Take a smooth tool and insert it into the hole where the banjo bolt was attached and push the plunger all the way in to the stop. Don't use something sharp. I used a round ended allen wrench. The wobble type.

6. Refill the adjuster to completely full with hydraulic jack oil. Run a few drops down into the banjo bolt if any came out. I used a syringe with a wd-40 hose attached to it for this.

7. Bolt the hose back up to the adjuster loosing as little oil as you can.
This was the hardest part. With the bolt just a tiny bit loose and the whole assembly upside down, Crank in the adjuster just a little to expel any air.

8. Tighten the banjo bolt fully to seal the line. You did remember to see which way it points didn't you. ;)

9. Re-mount the adjuster on the pivot mechanism and you should be done.

10. Crank up that preload and see what you've got now.....!!! :yeah: Check for leaks !

Found the instructions for this old site and thought I'd repost it on the new because it really helps. !!:)

Take Care,

John
Hi All, I may be a little late to the game as I am a new owner of a 2006 K1200LT. I just want to say these forums have been so helpful in resolving all the little issues with my new to me bike. My preload was stuck in position (high). After following the recommendations on the forum, I was able to get it working as well as fill the reservoir. It made a big difference. Much appreciated to all those who posted.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,668 Posts
There is a ton of knowledge here ready to help out new comers to the LT world. Hope you enjoy your ride and welcome to the forum.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts