BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 LT and am thinking about "Firming Up" the front seat. I don't want to change the look or the seat height (I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam). I am never quite flat footed and don't want to make it worse.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Since I didn't want to go all out for a custom saddle (tried that before at $700 and no love), I took the suggestion of another board member and had a layer of memory foam installed in my saddle. Oregon Aero only charged $175, my seat looks original, retained the heater, and excellent service. Since I am a pilot and have been to their facility, I trusted them with my saddle. This won't make it a 1000 mi/day saddle, but it's better.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p86_2001.html#motorcycles

·
Registered
704 Posts
Please make sure you post your results. My '03 saddle is getting a little flat and not wanting to invest $$$$ I was thinking of having the thing rebuilt. Actually, I was just thinking of taking it off and going to a local upholstery shop. Why couldn't they do the job? Or maybe one that specializes in auto upholstery.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
BLBantz said:
Please make sure you post your results. My '03 saddle is getting a little flat and not wanting to invest $$$$ I was thinking of having the thing rebuilt. Actually, I was just thinking of taking it off and going to a local upholstery shop. Why couldn't they do the job? Or maybe one that specializes in auto upholstery.
An good auto upholstery shop could certainly handle the project but I'd rather use someone who specializes in m/c seats. They have a better understanding of our needs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a auto upholsterer redo my seat - remove cover and BMW foam and replace with layers of higher density foams. A big improvement over stock though probably not as good as a custom seat.
I've done several 1000 mile days on it.
Only cost about $60.
It helped that the guy that did it was a long time bike rider. Moto Guzzi :eek: though. Claimed to have done lots of BMW seats.
Check they understand the heater element before they start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts