BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003's battery died the other day (in the garage) and today I charged it back up. The meter reads ~12V now but it won't turnover. It seems symptomatic of the immobilizer doing its thing but I believe I took the right steps to clear it (turn on key, hit #1/left button.)

The first time the alarm sounded when I turned the key initially but not now. Even so, pushing that starter button just gets me some evil mocking laugh coming from somewhere above me.

Ideas? It's awesome riding weather this week and I'm grounded.

·
Registered
719 Posts
wArt said:
My 2003's battery died the other day (in the garage) and today I charged it back up. The meter reads ~12V now but it won't turnover. It seems symptomatic of the immobilizer doing its thing but I believe I took the right steps to clear it (turn on key, hit #1/left button.)

The first time the alarm sounded when I turned the key initially but not now. Even so, pushing that starter button just gets me some evil mocking laugh coming from somewhere above me.

Ideas? It's awesome riding weather this week and I'm grounded.
go buy a new battery..if its orginal its dead

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
If the battery is more than 3-4 years old then it's likely done and no amount of charging will bring it back.

Are you getting any sound from the starter like it's trying to turn over? Dash lights on?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No sound at all from the starter. All other electrical things look/sound normal, including when I squeeze the brake. Radio works, the headlight doesn't appear dim like it had.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
Try setting and unsetting the alarm a few times. Mine was out of sync after two weeks off the battery and I had to hit three or four times before it would reliably set and unset. Had to sync up the rolling code me thinks.

If the battery was dead and it was NOT a PC-680 then you most likely did not bring it fully back to life. Put the meter on it after the lights have been on for three minutes and see if it is still above 12.45V. If not it is shot.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, John and others. I tried the alarm/disarm approach and got nada. I could hear a very subtle and single click when pushing the starter.
Next, I hooked up the meter and just watched it drop .1V ever few seconds.
The dealer is on my route to work. I guess he'll be making a sale on a battery tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took the battery to Interstate and they did a full charge and load test on it. When they got it the voltage was about 11.3, which I'm told just isn't enough to get the bike started. It offered 200 CCA while the specs say the bike only needs 100 CCA. <shrug> Just put the battery back in--along with a tender--and it starts fine. Not sure why it depleted so much in under a week of no riding.

Will replace this 30-month-old BMW battery next spring.

·
Registered
676 Posts
FYI- If your battery reads only 12 v, it is not fully charged, a fully charged battery should read 13.5v...12 just isn't going to cut it...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
casualemt said:
FYI- If your battery reads only 12 v, it is not fully charged, a fully charged battery should read 13.5v...12 just isn't going to cut it...
A fully charged lead/acid (gel, AGM or wet) will read no more than 12.75 volts when fully charged after it has sat for 3 hours off the charger. Fresh off it will read near the charge voltage but will decrease over time until it reaches the steady state full charge open terminal voltage. That is the only reliable time to measure the open circuit terminal voltage and have it mean anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts