BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

re canbus

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  lkniess 
#1 ·
What years does the LTs incorporate CanBus? I am considering a set of Motolights on my 03 just as I had on my 01. The website says:

Click to enlarge image(s)This is a great product to add to any bike when wiring in a lot of electrical accessories. A must for CANbus systems.

Does this mean I have to have it or does it mean it would be good to have this.

I sold my 01 to a fellow from Lakeland, Fla.
Thanks
Larry

#3 ·
bikesnumbnuts said:
there is no can bus on the LT.
regards numbnuts in blighty .
+1

#5 ·
Larry, CANBUS is not something you would add to your bike. CANBUS is factory installed and includes a computer to monitor the status of each light bulb and accessory on your LT. There are fused 12V buss accessories that you could add that have real value. Much cleaner than adding wires and in-line fuses to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Do a search on 'buss' and you will find them.

Congrats on selling your old ride. Are you planning to deliver it in person?

Loren

#6 ·
Larry,

Your LT is not equipped with a canBus system. No worries! Buy the Motolights and install them. I suggest you buy a Autoswitch system for turning them on. PM me if you want more info or need any help.

#7 ·
lkniess said:
This is a great product to add to any bike when wiring in a lot of electrical accessories. A must for CANbus systems.

Does this mean I have to have it or does it mean it would be good to have this.
What this means is that it is a separate distribution/fuse box that cleans up your wiring.

The reference to CANBUS** only refers to the fact that the most common way of bypassing the CANBUS network to add farkles -- on bikes that already are designed and equipped with this network system -- is to wire a separate fusebox directly to the battery (and therefore not have to figure out a way to tap CANBUS-related circuits).

Because no K12LT has ever been equipped with a CANBUS system, this comment is irrelevant to you.

However, the idea of adding a separate fusebox is a good one, regardless of bike type, if you plan on adding a lot of electrical accessories. I used/like the FuzeBlock because you can switch between ignition-switched and unswitched power simply by repositioning a fuse. www.fuzeblocks.com

** FWIW, The key to understanding CANBUS is to understand that a CANBUS doesn't control anything.

A CANBUS (Controller Area Network bus, or similar name variations) is a communications protocol and network wiring which allows various devices on a vehicle to share data between one another. This permits the use of fewer wires (because multiple devices can take turns and share the same wire for inter-device communications), saving weight, complication and cost, and opening the door for many more user-benefiting features (from the trivial, such as a K16 being able to send a low fuel message from the computer to the GPS so the GPS will display the nearest gas stations, to important systems, such as engine computers, ABS computer, attitude sensors, wheel speed sensors, etc. for integrated traction control/braking/active handling actions).

The "control" in a CANBUS-equipped BMW is primarily from a ZFE (German initials for central function unit) -- a computer which uses the CANBUS network (and other direct-connection wires) to monitor and perform various functions. It also serves as a power distribution module, controlling current delivery to power sockets, for example, effectively acting like a circuit breaker, replacing many fuses (again, lowering wiring harness cost and complexity).

#9 ·
Ernie A
Thanks for your reply. I think I need to try and clean things up with a fusebox. I already have a Flash to pass so I guess it is the same as the autoswitch although the switch looks cleaner. I use it for a garage opener. If I get the lights, I will wire them so they are on any time the headlights are on.
The sale on my 01 was completed an hour ago. I have the money and the title and bill of sale is on the way to Florida. I will be hearing from the buyer as soon as he has the shipping arrangements made.

Ride like you mean it!

#11 ·
Careful...... I've had a service rep tell me my 09 had a canbus. Obviously he didn't know his BMW from a Vespa. I won't mention what dealer he was from but lets say the shop is just off a highway with 217 in the name... LOL

#12 ·
SIT
Why of course I will! I will even bring the trailer so you can check it out!
Larry

#13 ·
SIT
Sorry, I spoke too soon. Bummer, the weather will be great! Thursday is a Blazer Playoff home game so that is where I have to be!
Hopefully, next month!
Larry

#14 ·
get together is Wednesday though......

#15 ·
Oops!!!

I replied two times too fast !! I will be there Wed!
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.