BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the Rotors need changing or the spacers - the noise is dreadful, bike still stops on a pin though!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Something I have noticed over several tire changes......if you are running Metzelers and the rear tire is cupped as they normally do on the left side, it sets in a vibration that is noticed more at slow speeds that causes the floating rear rotor to rattle badly especially while leaning left. A new set of tires usually stops this. I just live with the rattle until I wear the tires out.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
c00k1e said:
Do the Rotors need changing or the spacers - the noise is dreadful, bike still stops on a pin though!
Unfortunately the rear rotor is not re-buildable. It is a floating rotor and therefore there is a small movement allowed even when the machine is new. Unfortunately the rivets that hold the assy together wear and eventually the rotor starts to rattle. Your choices are, replace with a new one - probably around $300, do a search in the Hall of Wisdom for possible temporary repairs, get some ear plugs! Fortunately, while annoying, it's not a major safety issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
"especially while leaning left" I notice rattle while also turning right, when it has 10k miles or more.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had the same problem.

I took the rotor off, sealed around each rivet with black high temp rtv silicone.
Problem solved.

Of course the rotor no longer "floats"

But it works just fine.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I doubt it's a rotor issue. Replace your pads with EBCs (but keep OEMs up front), and then inspect your tire. Especially if you're running a Metzelers back there that's feathered...that can cause a multitude of ugly sounds and vibrations.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the frount ones!

Sorry, should I have said - the noice is from the frount rotors rattling (the rear is less than 1k miles old!)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Oh it's the fronts

c00k1e said:
Sorry, should I have said - the noice is from the frount rotors rattling (the rear is less than 1k miles old!)
Since you don't mention how long you've had the bike and whether you are the first owner or not, you are leaving a lot of information out of the picture. If the front is rattling, then I would suspect that you have EBC pads in the front. EBCs do not have anti-rattle clips like the BMW OEM pads do, been reported on the old site so many times it wasn't funny any more. So first thing I would do is check and make sure it's not the pads rattling. If they are, trot on down to you local BMW dealership or which ever BMW mail order place you want to use and order two sets of front BMW OEM pads and replace them.

Also it would help if you would fill out your profile data. It would be nice for us to know a little bit about who were talking to. Might even find folks close by that would be willing to help you out with problems and even better a really good group of friends. :)

HTH

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I agree with Steve....EBC pads on the front are terrible. Actually since the OEM pads have changed, I only use OEM all the way around now with no issues at all. Those anti-rattle clips on the front OEM's are a necessity if you ask me.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will fill out my profile now.
The rattle is deffinately the rotors, I can rattle them by hand, there is a lot of space round the spacers, but my local garage says buy new rotors, I am sure that the spacers should have been designed to give before the holes in the rotors.
BMW OEM pads all round
79k on the clock, 2nd hand.
I could try silicone (I have some clear stuff I use for my ST1100 stainless Pipes)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
c00k1e said:
I will fill out my profile now.
The rattle is deffinately the rotors, I can rattle them by hand, there is a lot of space round the spacers, but my local garage says buy new rotors, I am sure that the spacers should have been designed to give before the holes in the rotors.
BMW OEM pads all round
79k on the clock, 2nd hand.
I could try silicone (I have some clear stuff I use for my ST1100 stainless Pipes)
You may just want to try and order parts and fix it that way. According to A&S's microfiche. There is a wave washer P/N 34 11 2 314 888, quantity 10 (5 for each side), that you might want to try replacing. It's just a start. I'd also find out what color Loctite to use when you replace them.

Good luck.

Reactions: c00k1e

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve_R said:
You may just want to try and order parts and fix it that way. According to A&S's microfiche. There is a wave washer P/N 34 11 2 314 888, quantity 10 (5 for each side), that you might want to try replacing. It's just a start. I'd also find out what color Loctite to use when you replace them.

Good luck.
Loctite?
Hmmm, I may be closer to the problem than I thought.
I replaced the wheel when I bought the bike (bit of a dent in the rim) put the old rotors etc on the new wheel - didnt know anything about loctite! Any chance it could be this simple?
I
Thanks for the part number, much searching avoided if this is the solution

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
c00k1e said:
Loctite?
Hmmm, I may be closer to the problem than I thought.
I replaced the wheel when I bought the bike (bit of a dent in the rim) put the old rotors etc on the new wheel - didnt know anything about loctite! Any chance it could be this simple?
I
Thanks for the part number, much searching avoided if this is the solution
I doubt it. Mine rattle horrible and I am waiting for winter down time to repair.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Steve_R said:

Good luck.
Interesting... T wasn't aware that there were wave washers available.. may be a cost effective fix... :D

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt try using silicone to stop the rattle?
Update;
Just spoken to Clarks BMW in Birmingham (UK). They say that I need new 'rollpins', so I have gone with them and will see if that sorts the problem out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If it's the front rotors, I wouldn't silicone them.

The only reason I siliconed the back was I really don't use the back brake much anyway. but I couldn't stand that damn rattling anymore.

I rely mostly on the front, and if there supposed to float, I want them to float.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Interesting comments regarding the anti-rattle clips.

I know of quite a few cases of bikes having rattling rear brake discs changed under guarantee by BMW, even when the bike was out of warantee.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

Removed the bolts, 'crincled washers' and inserts on my K1200lt.
Found that half the 'crincled washers' were missing!
Found that many of the inserts were worn quite a bit.

Bought compleate set of bolts, 'crincled washers' and inserts (£30ish) and now I have a silent frount end!!!

Very happy, worth the money!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
c00k1e said:
Bought compleate set of bolts, 'crincled washers' and inserts (£30ish) and now I have a silent frount end!!!
Were you working on the front rotors or the rear?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts