BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 LT power center stand rattles way too much, and I can't see anything loose or worn, except the shaft is loose in the guide, but I don't know if it's supposed to be that loose or not. Any ideas? Local dealer says don't worry about it but it makes a lot of noise and other riders are always telling me something is coming loose on my bike.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
bmrbob said:
My '05 LT power center stand rattles way too much, and I can't see anything loose or worn, except the shaft is loose in the guide, but I don't know if it's supposed to be that loose or not. Any ideas? Local dealer says don't worry about it but it makes a lot of noise and other riders are always telling me something is coming loose on my bike.
Are the rubber bumpers still intact?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Are you sure you are not hearing the floating rear rotor rattle? When it is cool, reach under and try to rattle the rotor from side to side.

Ron

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rubber bumper is still there, and the rotor does move, but it's a floating rotor and it does have to have some play in it, so it does make some noise, and I don't know how much is acceptable. But the center stand motor has play in the shaft that goes through a rotating fitting. There is some play there, and when the motor is running and I hold that shaft, the rattling stops. So do I need some new parts there to tighten it up or is it supposed to stay loose?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,135 Posts
If it is rattling that means it is dry and using it that way does put a stress on the actuator. I try to keep mine lubed up with some sticky grease and that way there is no rattle. There are two plastic bushings that the pin rides in - they could be missing in action and could also contribute to a nasty rattle. Unfortunately they are not listed as a replacement part.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of sticky grease do you use, and doesn't it just get full of dirt and grit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts