BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 LT with 73K on the clock. I bought it used with 17K on it and it has been pretty much a trouble free bike. But ever since I have owned it there seemed to be a fair amount of "rattle" in the dash when going over rougher roads. It seems to gotten worse the past year and before I start taking things apart I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so what did you do to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help..

Nordo

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Are you sure the rattling is in the dash, or could it come from the windshield screw covers?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried to move the windshield by hand and it seems solidly mounted, but I sure can pop the covers off and check the mounting screws. Has there been a problem with these coming loose?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Windshield is solid, mounting screws and covers solid.

When I press on the instrument cluster, there is a bit of a give. I assume the cluster is rubber mounted, and the dash is easily removed to get at the instrument cluster and mounting hardware. Any words of wisdom before I take it apart?
I have never gotten into the dash or instruments before..
Thanks..

Nordo

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Nordo said:
I have tried to move the windshield by hand and it seems solidly mounted, but I sure can pop the covers off and check the mounting screws. Has there been a problem with these coming loose?
I have had the screws getting loose but I check stuff often enough that it never had a chance to become a problem.
The screw covers on the other hand have come off a few times for maintenance and installing a BMR shelf and various accessories, and some of the little plastic tabs are gone and one the covers tends to vibrate at low RPMs (idle mostly) and it drives me crazy.
My shelf does not buzz though...

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Nordo said:
Windshield is solid, mounting screws and covers solid.

When I press on the instrument cluster, there is a bit of a give. I assume the cluster is rubber mounted, and the dash is easily removed to get at the instrument cluster and mounting hardware. Any words of wisdom before I take it apart?
I have never gotten into the dash or instruments before..
Thanks..

Nordo
The cluster is rubber mounted. If you can ascertain the your vibrations come from there try inserting some soft foam to help absorb them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts