BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike, 02 KLT, for about a 250 mile ride today. While running my son to baseball practice I noticed a significant rattle in the dash area. Sounds like something up behind the gauges. Nothing seems loose on the dash, nothing seems loose working up in from the front. Before I have to start tearing into things I thought I'd check the collective wisdom here.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The seam at the front where the upper and lower tupperware meet on each side is the cause for a lot of rattles... Check that.. Could be anything if you're sure it's coming from under the dash... You'll just have to go in and look around...

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking more today, still nothing real obvious. I do notice some vertical "play" in the windshield, that might be the issue. Is some slack in the system normal for the windshield? I don't think I ever tried wiggling it before to have a point of comparison.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the problem. I lost a bolt out of the left side front fender. Makes a racket, but don't think it will cause any problems until I can get a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
IASprint said:
Found the problem. I lost a bolt out of the left side front fender. Makes a racket, but don't think it will cause any problems until I can get a new one.
The fenders before 2005 have been know to break from vibration, I would get a bolt in there fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts