BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the replies to the "Starter problems" posted by Clif raised a question for me.

1) Does the starter button require routine cleaning like on the older "K" bikes? I.e. clean the copper contacts in the switch assembly.

On my 02 LT I have noticed that every so often I press the starter button and nothing. Try it again and it turns over fine. I figured just wasn't depressing the button enough. Since it has always started and turns over fine don't think it is a battery issue. Does not matter if hot or cold. Doing ERC tomorrow so this should be a test of the battery condition.

Thanks

Roy

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have not heard of that problem. It sounds like the logical answer though. My father's Yamaha Venture had a problem like that one time. It turned out that he had lubed the throttle cable and used too much grease. I took it apart and cleaned the switch and it did fine. Yours sounds like the contacts getting dirty.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Erc

Hey Roy

I'm taking the ERC tomorrow also. I assume your in the one our friend Jeff is teaching.
I looked up the part diagram for the right hand switch assembly, it looks like they sell it as a complete assembly not just the starter switch. I looked at the one on my bike and it doesn't look like it comes apart. Hopefully it works tomorrow.

Bill Hedgspeth

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
bigbear said:
Reading through the replies to the "Starter problems" posted by Clif raised a question for me.

1) Does the starter button require routine cleaning like on the older "K" bikes? I.e. clean the copper contacts in the switch assembly.

On my 02 LT I have noticed that every so often I press the starter button and nothing. Try it again and it turns over fine. I figured just wasn't depressing the button enough. Since it has always started and turns over fine don't think it is a battery issue. Does not matter if hot or cold. Doing ERC tomorrow so this should be a test of the battery condition.

Thanks

Roy
Hi, Roy - lissen, you got an alarm unit on your scoot?? Reason I ax is, ole Blue Truck has an alarm system, and one of the instructions in the manual emphasized: key in - count '1' - turn key to start the engine. Somethang about giving the computer/alarm unit time to wake up and get that first cup - actually said "slow down the sequence". I began to experiment with that protocol, and sure enough, everytime I twisted the key 'too' fast, no start. Off - then count '1' - then "we have ignition". Not sure if that is your problem (and definitely not, if you don't have an alarm unit), butt possible.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alarm

Dick said:
Hi, Roy - lissen, you got an alarm unit on your scoot?? Reason I ax is, ole Blue Truck has an alarm system, and one of the instructions in the manual emphasized: key in - count '1' - turn key to start the engine. Somethang about giving the computer/alarm unit time to wake up and get that first cup - actually said "slow down the sequence". I began to experiment with that protocol, and sure enough, everytime I twisted the key 'too' fast, no start. Off - then count '1' - then "we have ignition". Not sure if that is your problem (and definitely not, if you don't have an alarm unit), butt possible.
It has the factory alarm system so this may also be something to consider. I can't say that I have paid attention but habit is turn key & hit go button. I know for certain there are times it has not finished the brake sequence.

Will have to act to my age I guess... Old N Slo :D

Thanks

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blkswan said:
Hey Roy

I'm taking the ERC tomorrow also. I assume your in the one our friend Jeff is teaching.
I looked up the part diagram for the right hand switch assembly, it looks like they sell it as a complete assembly not just the starter switch. I looked at the one on my bike and it doesn't look like it comes apart. Hopefully it works tomorrow.

Bill Hedgspeth
Bill,
I have not looked at the LT but on the Old K they do come apart. I am willing to bet that BMW does not show individual parts on them either. I can tell you from experience you need good eyes, small dextrous fingers and patience when cleaning these things.

And yup same ERC course with our friend Jeff, hope you are bringing your LT so that I ain't the light truck doing maneuvers on the range.

Roy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts