BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 R1200 with a Nav 6 navigation system. When I key in a location, it keys into the directions quickly and creates a route. The problem I've had with it and it's happened on just about every trip, about halfway through the trip, it goes off course and starts directing me to a random location along my route. It's very distracting especially at 70 miles an hour on a busy freeway. Today it did this several times from Cape Cod to North Hampton, N.H. At first, I couldn't figure out how to get back on course. To get the Nav 6 out of its funk, I go into my menu button, click down to Navigation, wonder wheel to the first choice on the menu screen and right push on the wonder wheel until it gets me back to the Where To- Map screen, touch the Map screen and I'm back on course. I have the Nav 5 on my other bike and have never had that problem. Any thoughts? Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2018 R1200 with a Nav 6 navigation system. When I key in a location, it keys into the directions quickly and creates a route. The problem I've had with it and it's happened on just about every trip, about halfway through the trip, it goes off course and starts directing me to a random location along my route. It's very distracting especially at 70 miles an hour on a busy freeway. Today it did this several times from Cape Cod to North Hampton, N.H. At first, I couldn't figure out how to get back on course. To get the Nav 6 out of its funk, I go into my menu button, click down to Navigation, wonder wheel to the first choice on the menu screen and right push on the wonder wheel until it gets me back to the Where To- Map screen, touch the Map screen and I'm back on course. I have the Nav 5 on my other bike and have never had that problem. Any thoughts? Thanks, Larry
call Garmin. The Nav VI is known for some funky behavior. They are quick to replace it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
As James says, Garmin knows of the "phantom screen inputs".
On your NAV6, if you go to >Settings>Device>About> and look at the Hardware Version, if it's not V8, then Garmin will replace it.
Call ‭(866) 455-7012 or (913) 397-8200 and describe your issues with the term "phantom screen inputs" and they will initiate a replacement RMA.
The good news is that you also get a fresh battery!
Don't forget to remove your SIM CARD prior to sending back your old unit!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Even if you have version V8, they’ll replace it - just ask me how I know! The upside is Garmin is very easy to work with and will get you a replacement unit pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My FOURTH replacement Nav VI is scheduled for delivery today. I’m quite over being a beta tester for garmin While they sort out bad hardware

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
Thank you for letting me know to never buy a VI... So tell me, why is Base Camp a huge POS? Why does it take so long to retrace the map when the entire map and data is loaded on my computer????

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
My Nav6 displayed similar issues to those discussed above, so I took the unit off the bike, cleaned the contacts on the NAV unit and also the contacts on the cradle. All works good again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Nav6 displayed similar issues to those discussed above, so I took the unit off the bike, cleaned the contacts on the NAV unit and also the contacts on the cradle. All works good again.
Bandy:

What did you use to clean the contacts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts