BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am not particularly tall myself (180 cm = 6') I have found the stock seating position quite cramped and that's why I designed the famous power seat height adjustment. http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo/POWERSEATADJUSTER
But I soon realized that the front side of the seat needs to be raised as well. I did not go for any powered mechanism on there any more but merely extended the seat front bracket so that the nose of the seat sits a total of 42 mm higher than stock.

So my recipe for the tall guys would be to extend the front bracket up to 20 - 42 mm (42 mm is the max IMHO) and also extend the rear (two position bracket that folds out from the seat) maximum of 50 - 60 mm.
Extending the rear bracket is just my idea. I have never done it myself as my seat does not even have that part any more due to the quite extensive power seat mod.

A tall guy can have the seat permanently in high position unlike a shortie like me who needs to lower the seat in the city traffic, so if the powered seat adjuster seems to far out job just raise the seat by modifying the brackets. It is not a terribly difficult job but of course some basic welding skills (either own or borrowed) will be needed.

This affects the looks of the bike somewhat (depending on the year of the bike how severly) and in the following photo album there are some pictures with explanations on how I fixed the looks issue. My '05 bike has the older model seat pan (Russell seat) so the actual need for covering the gap between the tupperware and the seat pan depends somewhat on the year of the bike.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo/RAISINGTHESEATANDMAKINGASKIRTTOCOVERTHEGAP

Regards

·
Registered
628 Posts
You win again. Time to hang a shingle.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
In awe.

Wow! Man, I want to hang with you. Too Kewl.

Jer

·
Registered
637 Posts
hmmm First I wonder what a "tall" guy is on this bike`?

I am 6`3" or 186 cm tall and I am wondering if this bike is to low for me to sit comfortable and how it will be when standing stil?

I am sure that when I get it, I will find out lots of modifications on it, beeing a design engineer and having good friends at the workshop :p

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
atrovarious said:
You win again. Time to hang a shingle.
Yep, I want to hang out with him too! Wonder what it is like to be a Genius?

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Great job! I am 6' 5" and find the bike as with most other things to small and cramped. I have dealt with it most of my life so really do not know any different.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Using some peg lowering breckets was all I found needed to undo the cramped feeling of this 6"1" LT owner.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I am 6'2"+ and have a 37-38" inseam. I am all legs. I have the seat in the lower position and other than being a bit cramped on a long ride, I like the way the handlebars feel. In the raised spot, I feel like I am sitting on top of the bike and have to reach down to find the controls. Throw in the XL J-pegs and it's all good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
paalao said:
hmmm First I wonder what a "tall" guy is on this bike`?

I am 6`3" or 186 cm tall and I am wondering if this bike is to low for me to sit comfortable and how it will be when standing stil?

I am sure that when I get it, I will find out lots of modifications on it, beeing a design engineer and having good friends at the workshop :p
I'm 6'1", 250lbs and 32" inside leg - standard seat (on high setting) and I can ride all day long. I don't mind the stock seat, would be gobsmacked to see how much better a custom seat is.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cfell said:
Ari.. can you give us info about the "contact cement"? Is the regular sticky stuff what you used...the one in a bottle and brush?
Hi Channing, the contact glue or cement that I used was just some ordinary hardware store stuff. The kind that you brush on both (clean) surfaces, wait a while and the press the sides together. Nothing special, really.
I would suppose that the upholstery professionals have their own favorites, you might get good hints from them, or whaddya say Ron Miller?

Regards

·
Registered
61 Posts
6'2"+ 240lbs 34" inseam. I don't see how to raise or lower my seat but I flat foot both sides very comfortably. I just got back from looking under it and what do you know? I have heated seats! Only owned the bike for 8 months... :rolleyes: I should spend a little time with my Clymer's manual! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts