BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on a rain suit.

We don't get much rain here in San Diego, but we're heading north in a couple of months for a week and I'm sure we'll run into rain. One friend has Frogg Toggs and loves them, another not so much. I'm sure there are other brands out there. Would love to hear what works or doesn't work for you.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just road my recently purchased 08RT from Florida to Toronto and endured 2 solid days of heavy rain and high winds and never had a drop penetrate my rainsuit, only my hands got wet and cold. I hate to tell you but it was a cheap $18 suit from Walmart, smelled of vinyl and mothballs, when I arrived at U.,S. Customns to declare the bike border patrol declared "you smell like mothballs". I'll likely never use it again but it did work and it did stink.

r

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are several different versions of the frogg toggs. That may be why there are differing opinions. We actually are using the "Harley" rain gear. Cost around $80. It has served us well for over 15 years. Not as packable as the toggs but we bought them before they were available. Many other choices out there but the toggs are probably the lowest cost.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Darian Lite pants (Aerostitch) and First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. Perfect gear for all but 90+ degree weather.... also keeps you dry. Been caught in some serious downpours and never gotten wet.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just got done riding from Long Beach to Rancho Bernardo on Saturday afternoon. Needless to say it was VERY wet all the way from Orange County on down. Had my Aerostich Darian jacket and pants, Aerostich overgloves, and hiking boots. Arrived home completely dry. I'm continually impressed by the outfit.

I've owned it since 2006 and use it daily for commuting in all weather. I recently had a leak in November and sent it back to Aerostich to renew the waterproofing and some minor repairs and upgrades. It's performing great.

I do own a First Gear mesh suit for some hot and humid conditions, but I rarely use it.

My preference is to be prepared for all weather, especially in CA, since it usually changes mid-ride. I like not having to pull over to adjust for differing conditions.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've used different outfits in my many years of riding. I am now using a Tourmaster Sentinel rain jacket. I use it to make my Summer riding jacket a 3 season jacket. It is also very easy on/off. The rain pants I carry are Olympia rain liners that are part of my Summer riding pants. The pants are also easy on/off because they have full length zippers on each leg. If I expect really bad stuff I also carry my one piece Triumph rain suit but if the 2 piece stuff does good I may phase out the Triumph outfit. I just started using the Tourmaster and Olympia gear this year but I have been very pleased the results so far.

My brother uses mostly BMW rain gear and he just purchased a new outfit recently. He has a review of the new outfit in the blog below. I rode the same two days in rain with the above gear and had zero problems.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.