BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode about 80 miles today in a pretty hard rain at about 40 degrees and stayed bone dry in my new Tourmaster Sentinel suit. It's the best I have had so far.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Glad you like your Tour Master suit - but I've never understood the logic of paying $80 to $150 for something most riders use a couple of times a year. I guess if you're a daily commuter in a rotten climate that makes sense and is probably a great investment.

The best rain suit I've ever used is generic one piece WHITE painter's coveralls made from waterproof and breathable Tyvek. $3 each and they pack incredibly small - the size of an 8 X 12 envelope.

When grungy after a few uses I toss 'em.

They are cut very generously and easily go on over top all of your protective gear - in sizes up to XXL - which will fit King Kong.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see your point of the two times a year deal Ron but I do use mine a lot. It's a pain putting them on for a short ride but you can't beat them for sustained riding. In fact for short rides I just like the Firstgear stuff I ride in all the time but after a while in heavy rain the crotch always got soaked.Tried the Frogs Toggs before that and didn't like them. They were too bulky and floppy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Glad you like your Tour Master suit - but I've never understood the logic of paying $80 to $150 for something most riders use a couple of times a year. I guess if you're a daily commuter in a rotten climate that makes sense and is probably a great investment.

The best rain suit I've ever used is generic one piece WHITE painter's coveralls made from waterproof and breathable Tyvek. $3 each and they pack incredibly small - the size of an 8 X 12 envelope.

When grungy after a few uses I toss 'em.

They are cut very generously and easily go on over top all of your protective gear - in sizes up to XXL - which will fit King Kong.
Are you serious Clark? Where do you get these?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I keep an inexpensive rain suit from Walley World on the bike and use it occasionally when it it cold and I just need something to break the wind on a cold day when I'm wearing my summer jacket. It takes up very little room and can make the difference between being cold or toasty..

... now back to the shark tank......

·
Registered
635 Posts
I commute in Phoenix year round and for my commuting gear, I wear an Olympia Stealth 1-piece suit over my work clothes. Since it is a summer mesh suit, it is not rain proof and so when the skies open up, I put a Revit Titan rain suit over it. Bought it at a nice discount. For day rides and trips mu Olympia AST keeps me dry if it should rain.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Ron,

You must have either purchased your 100 years ago or bought a case.... They are now almost $11.00. Still better than zip in an emergency or occasional use..

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
DanDiver said:
Ron,

You must have either purchased your 100 years ago or bought a case.... They are now almost $11.00. Still better than zip in an emergency or occasional use..
$9.52 each at my local Lowes.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Just bought them in a two pack a few weeks ago at my local Finishmaster auto body supply store for $7.00. I store one under the seat in all my bikes and on the boat - they also do an excellent job of functioning as a wind blocker. The XL fits me great over top my riding gear - I'm 6' and 225 lbs.

They would never be a substitute for purpose built rain gear if I had an Armani suit underneath but they're 90% up to the job and the visibility factor is huge.

If only they made them in dayglo green with a BMW logo. :D But then they would sell for $24.99 each.... ;)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
batdriver51 said:
I can see your point of the two times a year deal Ron but I do use mine a lot. It's a pain putting them on for a short ride but you can't beat them for sustained riding. In fact for short rides I just like the Firstgear stuff I ride in all the time but after a while in heavy rain the crotch always got soaked.Tried the Frogs Toggs before that and didn't like them. They were too bulky and floppy.
Good point - I never understood how the Frogg Toggs got so popular, they're just plain weird. :confused:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Good point - I never understood how the Frogg Toggs got so popular, they're just plain weird. :confused:
Just for the record, I like Frogg Toggs. They have kept me completely dry while riding at freeway speeds through many hours of heavy downpours. They were a good value, come with built-in reflective bands and piping, and store in a compact bag that fits easily in a side or top case (or strapped to the pillion).

·
Registered
635 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I always thought so myself.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
RonKMiller said:

Spoken like a true desert dweller! I am riding through Tucson in two weeks and I plan to bring my rainsuit.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Got the same GoreTex stuff I've been using for 20+ years on and off the bike. Figure its extra cost easily offset by longevity if you are a year round rider in more typical climates than AZ. Packs very small.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts