BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty much an Old School rider. My new to me bike came with multiple riding modes and I am still trying to determine their value.
Yesterday I took a ride with my regular riding group. At my age I am more of a fair weather rider. Yesterday was pretty cold and wet. I had never ridden my RT in wet conditions and thought that this would be a good opportunity to try Rain Mode and better familiarize me with my bike. I turned it on and wasn't very impressed. What is this mode supposed to do? Does it give me any better traction in wet curves? My tires are relatively new Road 4's. They sure didn't feel any stickier in Rain mode. All I found was that I lost a lot of response and power. I finally turned it back to Road mode. Do I really need some computer to prevent me from romping down on the throttle on a wet road or are there some subtleties I am missing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am pretty much an Old School rider. My new to me bike came with multiple riding modes and I am still trying to determine their value.
Yesterday I took a ride with my regular riding group. At my age I am more of a fair weather rider. Yesterday was pretty cold and wet. I had never ridden my RT in wet conditions and thought that this would be a good opportunity to try Rain Mode and better familiarize me with my bike. I turned it on and wasn't very impressed. What is this mode supposed to do? Does it give me any better traction in wet curves? My tires are relatively new Road 4's. They sure didn't feel any stickier in Rain mode. All I found was that I lost a lot of response and power. I finally turned it back to Road mode. Do I really need some computer to prevent me from romping down on the throttle on a wet road or are there some subtleties I am missing?
Hi Randy,
Rain mode does not reduce the available power on BMWs. What it does do is slow down the response rate of the throttle - you need to wind the throttle much more to get the same response. What it also does, on my 2019RT at least, is to adjust the suspension to a softer set up and uses a more conservative ABS and traction control setting. I wouldn't use it on a warm wet day with clean roads but when the temperature drops and the road is getting properly wet I have no problem with selecting rain mode, it does what it says on the tin!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I do use it in the rain, but I put it back into dynamic as soon as I can. My dealer returns the bike to me in "RAIN mode" after installing new tires. Also reminds me to take it easy for a while.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Sets the traction control to come on instantly as needed, softer throttle. And, California Super Bike school thinks so much of it that the beginner lessons (parts 1 & 2) they set the bikes in Rain mode and check each session of the day to make sure you have not bumped it up. So much less power. There are situations where you might forget and hit the throttle to make sure you're going to be will ahead of that car you want to turn in front of. Traction control on a rainy day is your savior especially if there is a little oil there too. I confess I seldom use it. But there have been two times I wish I did. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
264 Posts
Lol, BMW has built so much technology into this bike (2018 RT) that it has me wondering where they put their NATOPS manual. (NATOPS= Naval Air Training and Operating Procedures Standardization program, i.e. step by step procedures for "How not to crash your perfectly good US Navy airplane"). 🤣🤣🤣 I studied and studied before I hoped on that bike last fall for two, brief "break in" rides, and will be doing a whole lot more this coming spring. Almost makes me wish for my old "dirt bike" days, where the only things on the handlebars was a throttle and kill switch. 🙃😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
As mentioned above RAIN Mode reduces the bikes' "responsiveness". It could also be beneficial to switch to RAIN Mode if in stop & go traffic. If I end up in stop & go traffic & my bike (2018 R1200RT) is in DYNAMIC (where it is in 99.9% of the time) it lurches/surges & makes riding a pain (she just wants to run), however, when I switch to RAIN Mode she settles down & the riding improves. I dislike traffic, so try to avoid it whenever possible. Nice to have options, but my bike is usually in DYNAMIC mode (wish it had a Ludicrous or Ludicrous Plus Mode like a Tesla 😏 ).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run in rain mode when I am going or returning from my mountain home in NC. The road is gravel and steep. I feel it softens the suspension rebound and mutes the throttle response. It has been handy for me.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Lol, BMW has built so much technology into this bike (2018 RT) that it has me wondering where they put their NATOPS manual. (NATOPS= Naval Air Training and Operating Procedures Standardization program, i.e. step by step procedures for "How not to crash your perfectly good US Navy airplane"). 🤣🤣🤣 I studied and studied before I hoped on that bike last fall for two, brief "break in" rides, and will be doing a whole lot more this coming spring. Almost makes me wish for my old "dirt bike" days, where the only things on the handlebars was a throttle and kill switch. 🙃😁
Just wait until you get on the newer RTs!!! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned above RAIN Mode reduces the bikes' "responsiveness". It could also be beneficial to switch to RAIN Mode if in stop & go traffic. If I end up in stop & go traffic & my bike (2018 R1200RT) is in DYNAMIC (where it is in 99.9% of the time) it lurches/surges & makes riding a pain (she just wants to run), however, when I switch to RAIN Mode she settles down & the riding improves. I dislike traffic, so try to avoid it whenever possible. Nice to have options, but my bike is usually in DYNAMIC mode (wish it had a Ludicrous or Ludicrous Plus Mode like a Tesla 😏 ).
You hit the nail on the head! I’ve ridden the throttle by wire Beemers, which I really dislike I should add, comfortably only in RAIN MODE. It’s perfect in city traffic. In any other mode all these bikes do is lurch and surge. That’s why I don’t own one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use rain mode whenever I am carrying a passenger. It makes for a smoother ride for them, softer acceleration and less abrupt shifts. Cuts down exponentially on the helmet bumping.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
It's of good use

Reactions: taran1900

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even though i have an older 2007 RT i have many riding aids. It's called a wrist. I've ridden many bikes over 40 years and find this simple accessory the best for all for different weathers. Bikes these days have too much technology packed into them that removes the seat in the saddle feel

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
110 Posts
It’s perfect in city traffic. In any other mode all these bikes do is lurch and surge. That’s why I don’t own one.
City traffic. Stop-and-go traffic. Traffic jams. All of these.

Got stuck for 30 mins in traffic due on the highway to a truck accident - Rain Mode greatly helped me creep and crawl at 5 mph. Only other thing I was wishing for was the lowered 1st gear of an RTP. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts