BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears my 2004 K1200LT (18500 miles) has developed an allergy to rain. Approximately 12 miles into my morning commute (in rain), the engine died when I was slowing for a red light. (The bike was parked in my carport overnight, so was dry upon departure). Fortunately she fired right back up, but I discovered she would not idle. I had to keep the engine speed at or above 1500 RPM to keep it running. At highway speed, I also noticed any slight throttle roll-off would result in what appeared to be higher than normal (excessive/abrupt) engine braking. For the evening commute back home, the rain had stopped, but the problem continued until it appeared the bike "dried out" and by the time I arrived home (64 miles later), she was running/idling normally. I have actually experienced this situation on two different days this week, with the problem only occurring after being in rain. Prior to these two time, I've experienced no problem at all in significantly heavier rain. Dry rides reveal no problem. I assume the first thing to do is have the dealer check the Motronic Codes...but was wondering if any forum members might have experienced a similar situation or have an idea as to what is causing this problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Canisterectomy?

bwdjr said:
It appears my 2004 K1200LT (18500 miles) has developed an allergy to rain. Approximately 12 miles into my morning commute (in rain), the engine died when I was slowing for a red light. (The bike was parked in my carport overnight, so was dry upon departure). Fortunately she fired right back up, but I discovered she would not idle. I had to keep the engine speed at or above 1500 RPM to keep it running. At highway speed, I also noticed any slight throttle roll-off would result in what appeared to be higher than normal (excessive/abrupt) engine braking. For the evening commute back home, the rain had stopped, but the problem continued until it appeared the bike "dried out" and by the time I arrived home (64 miles later), she was running/idling normally. I have actually experienced this situation on two different days this week, with the problem only occurring after being in rain. Prior to these two time, I've experienced no problem at all in significantly heavier rain. Dry rides reveal no problem. I assume the first thing to do is have the dealer check the Motronic Codes...but was wondering if any forum members might have experienced a similar situation or have an idea as to what is causing this problem.
It sounds as if the charcoal cannister may be getting plugged from the rain water entering the drain that hangs down behind the black piece of plastic that holds the license plate. It is on the right side if you are looking forward. Do a search in the FAQ's for removal of the cannister.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannisterectomy was performed this morning.

Now I need to find some rain to see if my problems have been solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Cannisterectomy was performed this morning.

Did the cannisterectomy fix your problem? I have a 01 that gave me the same problem on a trip this fall. After moteling all night and still raining the next morning it ran bad. I finally held the throttle open at about 3,000 rpm's and it started running good. The rain stopped and never had any problems for the next 1,500 miles. But no rain either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts