BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for rain gear?
I'm thinking the jump suit type would give you the most protection in a heavy downpour (along with waterproof gloves and boots). I've had some people tell me that all you need is a Stearns Drywear jacket and pants for around 30 bucks.
I question if that would be enough protection.
Any tips would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just try putting a jumpsuit over your wet clothes on the side of the road without dragging the top part in the mud......

Waterproof textiles (Aerostich or other brands) are great since you don't have to stop to put on the rain gear. On the other hand, they are usually hot in hot weather.

After several other items, I have settled on Frogg Toggs, frog eyes made for motorcyclists.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have two sets of rain gear/waterproof clothing. If I know I'm going to ride in the rain I wear my Aerostich. For those days where it might rain I pack a Frogg Togg suit. The only thing with the Frogg Toggs is that your butt will get wet by the end of the day unless you are using Bead Riders or something similar. There are a lot of different models of Frogg Toggs. I recent bought the Leep Frogg model and I've been happy with it. It's cheaper then the motorcycle specific one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agree that the one-piece is ideal if you get it on before you get wet or don't have your boots on. I prefer the 2 piece myself and use the First Gear Sentinal jacket and pants. They're reasonably priced and do keep me dry. The ones listed above I don't know about; but really sound interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I use BMW 2-piece rainsuit
On cool summer mornings out on the road, I use the top to keep a little warmer in my perf. gear.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1635SMR said:
What do you guys recommend for rain gear?
I've tried a bunch of stuff.

I've started out with a full rainsuit over a leather jacket and riding pants, which I've worn during El Nino downpours, works great but it's hot and a pain to get into and out of. I'd rate this the worst of all options.

I then got a textile jacket that was also waterproof. This is really convenient for light or intermittent rain, just zip up the vents and keep riding. There's a liner for when it gets cold. For the pants I got a pair of lightweight rain pants from Sierra Design and put them over my riding pants when necessary. More often I just let my legs get wet, in light rain it's not so bad. This was a good compromise for me and I used it for 10 years.

Now I've got a BMW Comfort Shell suit. It's living up to my expectations as a single suit for all conditions. I've worn it in temperatures from 48 degrees to 99 degrees and in the rain, all with just a T-shirt and underwear beneath it. ...sure makes packing for a trip a lot easier! A single suit that works for anything/everything is very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
bonafidebob said:
I've tried a bunch of stuff.

I've started out with a full rainsuit over a leather jacket and riding pants, which I've worn during El Nino downpours, works great but it's hot and a pain to get into and out of. I'd rate this the worst of all options.

I then got a textile jacket that was also waterproof. This is really convenient for light or intermittent rain, just zip up the vents and keep riding. There's a liner for when it gets cold. For the pants I got a pair of lightweight rain pants from Sierra Design and put them over my riding pants when necessary. More often I just let my legs get wet, in light rain it's not so bad. This was a good compromise for me and I used it for 10 years.

Now I've got a BMW Comfort Shell suit. It's living up to my expectations as a single suit for all conditions. I've worn it in temperatures from 48 degrees to 99 degrees and in the rain, all with just a T-shirt and underwear beneath it. ...sure makes packing for a trip a lot easier! A single suit that works for anything/everything is very nice.
+1 on the BMW Comfort Shell. It eliminates the need to carry separate rain gear, is breathable and I've stayed completely dry in all day downpours. Finally, I don't need to watch the rain fronts and calculate the last moment when I need to pull over and put in a liner or put on a suit (which is usually done in the rain, making the task twice as difficult).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pickerbiker said:
+1 on the BMW Comfort Shell. It eliminates the need to carry separate rain gear, is breathable and I've stayed completely dry in all day downpours. Finally, I don't need to watch the rain fronts and calculate the last moment when I need to pull over and put in a liner or put on a suit (which is usually done in the rain, making the task twice as difficult).
Thanks,
I checked the comfort shell out. They look great but the aren't cheap (inexpensive, that is).

·
Registered
333 Posts
1635SMRI said:
checked the comfort shell out. They look great but the aren't cheap (inexpensive, that is).
You got that right! I was only able to justify it by rationalizing that it'll replace 3 sets of gear. Also I think the styling could be better, but it's grown on me. The neon blue color looks better after it fades a bit, or maybe it's just covered with dust and bugs, either way it mutes with age.

The fabric is really amazing. I expect to see more manufacturers making riding gear from this stuff in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts