BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally listen to music via my iPod and ear buds on longer trips and that set up has worked just find for me, save for when someone's trying to talk to me before I get a chance to get my helmet off and pull the buds out.

I like the idea of having a radio on the bike, but from practicality standpoint, I really don't think I'd use it. Of course, if it was there, I'd use it... but only to play songs of my iPod - I very rarely listen to the radio and when I do it's generally NPR or some other 'news' program, never music.

Anyway, with that all in mind, should I save $1300 and not go with the radio and continue using the system that's worked for me for years. OR, since I'll be dropping $20K on a bike anyway, should I just get all the bells and whistles and decide not to use them if I don't want to?

What sayeth y'all?

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's a nice feature, but an expensive one. You could get by with satellite radio built into your GPS and simply forgo the onboard speakers and save some real dough. At slower speeds and with the helmet screen raised I could hear the music, but still not worth the money in my opinion. Again, it's a nice feature, but pricey in my eyes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
oalvarez said:
It's a nice feature, but an expensive one. You could get by with satellite radio built into your GPS and simply forgo the onboard speakers and save some real dough. At slower speeds and with the helmet screen raised I could hear the music, but still not worth the money in my opinion. Again, it's a nice feature, but pricey in my eyes.
+1 ... I have the radio and don't use it. I installed a Garmin 665 and enjoy audio via a scala g4 headset. This gives me MP3, xm radio, gps audio, and cell phone access. There have been extensive threads on this in the forum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2011 RT with the radio (including Sirius), iPod and USB connectors, as well as bluetooth. I have yet to use the iPod or USB connectors, instead choosing to listen to Sirius. I do not use bluetooth, and play the music through on the board speakers. Up to about 90 MPH, I find the audio quality to be acceptable (of course, the slower I go, the better it is).

Previously, I had satellite radio through my Zumo 665, and into the helmet via bluetooth. I don't miss that setup one bit, and much prefer the onboard setup. I favor the onboard setup for a multitude of reasons, including having the controller on the left grip, which allows me to keep my attention on the road rather than divert it to the Zumo screen.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
241 Posts
SPXDR said:
I favor the onboard setup for a multitude of reasons, including having the controller on the left grip, which allows me to keep my attention on the road rather than divert it to the Zumo screen.
Yes, yes and yes.
I love the fact that I can get local drive time traffic and weather, and endless music,
sports wherever I go. I do not have a bluetooth setup right now but am close
to pulling the trigger on a new Neotec bucket with the BMW comm.
I have an iPhone hooked up but find I rarely us it for music.
I ride pretty much every day on commute.

For me, the best things on my bike on the long hauls are the cruise control,
the adjustable windscreen, and the Sirius radio.
Pretty much in that order...... well, there is the Ztechnic larger screen,
my Sargeant seat, the heated grips and seat, the shiny (grey) paint,
the BMW Nav, the ESA, the TPMs, traction control,
oh, did I say the shiny paint.....

I've gotta go look at my bike - excuse me......

Get the radio package - your spending this much on a bike, get everything! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you like listening to music while riding it's a great feature and I would think better than an ipod/ear bud feature.
I didn't have a choice. I picked up a 2011 in December and all the choices available to me were loaded with the stereo and free Sirius XM.
I basically got them for free with the net effect of $3000 off of MSRP, but if I had my choice I doubt that I would have paid an extra $1300 for the stereo.
Truth is though that I'm glad it was included on the bikes I was considering because I really do like having the radio now. I too have no issue at up to say 60 MPH but it gets a bit distorted to crank it on the highway at speeds over 70. I can still hear it well and it's fine for me at highway speeds but then again I've never been one of those meticulous audiophile people.
I'm going to set myself up with the bluetooth pairing and probably a Scala G4 in the next month or two. I might even renew the Sirius XM next year. I've got satellite radio in both of our cars so I'm guessing that I can work a pretty good deal to just have the RT being the 3rd satellite radio in the family.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have it and am glad I spent the money. It can be hard to hear at high speeds but for the most part it serves me fine. Of course there are blue tooth and even hard wire in helmet speaker options, which I may explore later, but it works for me.

I like that I can listen to NFL games and ride at the same time. I also listen to a lot of the local AM (talk radio) channels and get weather and traffic information. I guess I could do with out the FM but it is still nice to have.

I like that it can be controlled from the handlebars, integrates in to the bikes computer and I did not have to install it on the bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also got the radio on my bike, and to me it's been worth it. Having full control of all features with the left twist grip is very convenient. My only complaint is loss of audio fidelity through the bluetooth system. I have the Schuberth C3 with the BMW audio setup, and have not figured out a way to improve the bluetooth audio quality. Other than that, it's a great setup.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did not get the radio on my 2010 because 1) cost rather high and 2) I would never use the speakers at highway speeds. But I do like music on long trips so I added both an XM radio and the Zumo 660 GPS with MP3 music. At one time I also used an iPod but that is really over kill with 3 major sources of music. I run the output of these devices to an AmpliRider amp that is under the seat. The volume control for the amp is on the right handle ba (I think the left hand side is a better fit). The amp output goes to earbud speakers. I use the S Plug ear buds.

I'm not sure that BT is ready for prime time thus the wired ear buds. That is my main complaint on my current setup. I have to put in earbuds and connect to the amp every time I get on the bike. Not too much bother but still longer than simply putting on my helmet and taking off.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I was slow to adopt audio on my bike. I added J&M to the last couple bikes primarily to hear navigation. Then I added XM to the mix and am sold on it. I still run J&M and run wired to my C3 with the J&M headset installed. I wear earplugs, either my molded or foam plugs, and turn it up enough the hear. Audio quality is great and I haven't found a speed that changes anything.

I think I'm in for around $600 or so dollars for the J&M setup, not including the XM puck.

IMO, at that price, I think it's worth it - I ride enough that I'm getting the value for the cost. I think you have to decide if you'll actually use it enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
J&M now has an adapter especially for the RT music system that allows hardwired sound etc to your helmet while preserving all the features and switches of the bmw radio. this apparently eliminates the complaints i have read about the blue tooth sound and complete functionality being subpar. its on their website

jmcorp.com

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
My only suggestion would be while you may or may not use the radio on a regular basis, having the bike equipped with it may make it more attractive to buyers in the future (assuming you will want to sell/trade it at some point).

·
Registered
18 Posts
oldspice said:
I generally listen to music via my iPod and ear buds on longer trips and that set up has worked just find for me, save for when someone's trying to talk to me before I get a chance to get my helmet off and pull the buds out.

I like the idea of having a radio on the bike, but from practicality standpoint, I really don't think I'd use it. Of course, if it was there, I'd use it... but only to play songs of my iPod - I very rarely listen to the radio and when I do it's generally NPR or some other 'news' program, never music.

Anyway, with that all in mind, should I save $1300 and not go with the radio and continue using the system that's worked for me for years. OR, since I'll be dropping $20K on a bike anyway, should I just get all the bells and whistles and decide not to use them if I don't want to?

What sayeth y'all?

Only you can answer this. I bought my 08 RT with the radio.Year end deal. Is it worth to me ? No.
I don't listen much to the radio in my car. On the bike with wind noise I seldom listen to it.
But again it depends on your own priorities.
I

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
No.

It is just a distraction.

The only sounds I want to hear when riding is the engine and the wind.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to you all for your insights - I appreciate the considered input. I'm leaning on the "nice to have, but not necessary" side of the debate at this point, but time and RT availability will tell!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2011 with the factory radio with a year of free Sirius radio. The radio is nice, but as one of the other owners commented, I find the Bluetooth audio in the Schuberth helmet really marginal as far as the audio quality is concerned. I prefer to just use the speakers in the bike. The speakers in the helmet are adequate for GPS commands, but music just sounds too "tinny". Still, I don't regret getting the audio system. A friend of mine has an aftermarket setup that fits into his tank bag, but he's got cords hanging all over the place. The factory installed option is much cleaner.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I ordered every thing that the RT had to offer BUT the radio. and after three years now after $27500.00 buy it! it"s only money.... you can"t take it with you :histerica

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All ooptions on my '09 but the radio.

Went with a Zumo 665 which has XM on board but you must subscribe. Also has Wether, traffic and Red light camera alert!

The 665 provides excellent stereo Bluetooth. I have it paired with a JM Elite Bluetooth headset in a Shoei RF-1100 and paired Blackberry Storm II.

Sound is fabulous, everything syncs and works perfectly. Excellent battery life in the JM

The JM corp Elite Headset has nice thick speakers and the sound is excellent!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure there is "one" answer. I have been riding for probably about 35 years, and have resisted "tunes" the entire time until about a year or two ago when I started messing with ear buds, mp3's, and satellite radio. Long story short, when I started researching bikes to replace my '06 K12 GT, the new GT/GTL was on the hit list. It has everything, PLUS about 300 lbs more than the RT. - The more I thought about the impending decision, and after riding the GTL, it occurred to me that maybe I should consider the RT. If you think about it; the RT has everything the GT/GTL has short of the adaptive headlight and 300 lbs.

For purposes of full disclosure, I bought a '05 R12GS a year ago, and could not get over how much I loved the machine. Talk about character, and amusement! Anyway, I decided to buy a left-over '11 RT without riding it.

The RT is a great bike. It is sort of like a dresser that handles well, weighs in @ less than a Sportster, and produces power that would cost you about 7-8 grand to match on a HD dresser. The tunes are a blast. The audio (external) speakers actually sound pretty dang good. The Satellite radio is awesome. AWESOME! Bluetooth just makes your options broader. It's like having a full dresser, with a couple 'o hundred pounds shaved off, killer technology, and more horsepower than a full-zoot CVO HD that doesn't stop, start, or turn-in as well for about $10 G's less.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.