BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Happy New Year to your all. My LT is parked in the garage waiting for the spring to come. It's wintertime in Norway with snow.
I have an question to your all, is it possible to buy an radio with CD player to get the old radio with casette replaced. Once a time I so one on eBay and I don't want to buy an CD changer.

lararn

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
As I recall you will need a different connector from the radio/CD unit if you trade out the radio/cassette. It is possible to make the trade however.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
The radio with cassette on my '02 (build date May 2001) was replaced in 2004 under warranty with the CD version. The placement of the connectors on the newer unit requires a longer route for the wires and consequently longer wires although I don't recall if it was for power or antenna. Antenna I think. A supplemental 'pigtail' is available to bridge the gap. IIRC the longer wire hraness may have been slipstreamed into production, so your cassette equipped radio may have the CD version wiring.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for a while but I have another question. If I wanted to swap my CD for a cassette, would the wiring on the bike be sufficently long? Would the plugs currently on the bike "work" with the cassette deck?

I am a frustrated ICE Link user who needs to replace his radio deck. The cassette adaptor is the still the best option especially since I have to replace my radio anyway.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Rob,

Since you have an '03, you might have the Aux function on your CD radio. If you scroll through the radio Modes, does one come up that says AUX?

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
That means there is a Aux input plug on the back of the main radio (the single CD slot). You can buy a cable that fits this plug and gives you a standard 3.5 mm stereo input plug. That will give you much better sound quality than a cassette adapter, and without changing out your radio.

Check the threads here and here for more info.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I know about the AUX port. My problem is that that I fried the radio. It only plays out of the right speakers. Nothing comes out of the left front or rear speakers.

I figure that if I have to strip the tupperware, replace the radio, why not go with a cassette instead of the CD.

I also plan on installing a hidden antennae and hiding my satellite radio wiring inside the tupperware and handlebar controls.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Your call Rob, but the sound quality through the Aux port will be so much better than a cassette adapter. Of course, you're still on a bike dealing with wind noise, so there is a limit.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Good point! I didn't think about sound quality. I guess it will depend on which ever unit I can get from Beemerboneyard.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts