BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since buying my '99 KLT about a year and a half ago I have had problems with intermittent static or interference through the sound system. I think the radio was picking up EM interference because it often happened when riding near or under power lines. I tried the "fix" suggested in several threads, which was to clean all the radio wiring connections and add dielectric grease. I tried that in April while I had the tupperware off to install some farkles; there was no visible corrosion, but I greased the connections anyway. No effect. I realized later that I had missed the connections inside the stingray and resolved to clean those the next time I had the bike apart.

Last weekend I stripped the bodywork to route an Ice Link dock connector cable to the oddments box. I disassembled the stingray and checked and cleaned the connectors to the radio. Again, no visible corrosion but I sprayed the connections with ProGold.

The other cause of EM interference I had read about on this forum was "leaky" capacitors inside the radio itself. I was thinking about this while I had the radio "box" in my hands. I wondered if there was a way to shield it.

I pulled out a roll of aluminum foil and wrapped the radio box a couple of times before re-assembling the stingray. I figured it couldn't hurt.

For the last week, I have had zero static. It is completely gone.

I suppose it's possible that one of the connections that I checked was not making good contact, and fiddling with it or spraying it with ProGold was what fixed the problem. I think it was the foil that did the trick. I don't really care, of course, as long as the static is gone.

If anyone is having this problem, you may want to try this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think you're onto somethin.......you know ever since I started to wear my aluminum foil cap to shield my head from cosmic rays...my headaches have stopped.

OK ...come on now .....I'm just kiddin you...put down the gun now:)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
CWF said:
.put down the gun now:)
I actually think it is the guys with the straight jacket and the padded van. ;) :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have lots of foil left on the roll. Maybe I can line my helmet this weekend and stop the aliens and the Trilateral Commission from reading my brain waves.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Good news.

You foiled the noise.

Bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good idea. A lot of guitar players use aluminum foil under the pick guards and to line the holes routed in the back of the guitar to eliminate hum.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Ah,

That's why Grif is lucid these days!

CWF said:
I think you're onto somethin.......you know ever since I started to wear my aluminum foil cap to shield my head from cosmic rays...my headaches have stopped.
:)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts