BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on this site the other day that someone was using a 30A Radio Shack relay that was only temp rated to 85* F.

They now have a 40A SPST relay with much better operating environment specs. -40*F to +257* F should cover MOST of CONUS. Specs provided below for your review.

Loren

Dimensions

Product Height
0.9 inches

Product Width
1.1 inches

Product Depth
1.1 inches

General Features

Model
275-001

Product Type
SPST

Enclosure Color
Black

Miscellaneous Features

Min Operating Temperature -40 Fahrenheit

Max Operating Temperature
257 Fahrenheit

Humidity Range Operating up to 95%

Supported Languages
English

Mounting Kit
Mounting bracket included

#per pack 1

Power Features

Voltage Required
12VDC

·
Registered
989 Posts
Me-thinks it was Celsius

I do not know of the post you are referring to, but I find it hard to believe the 85F rating of the original part (because I am in the business) - there are no general purpose parts rated that low - it's below human body temperature.

Most likely, the rating of the original relay was 85C - which is a typical industrial grade range (equals 185F).

Now, the new part you are referring to is indeed better. However, bear in mind that the specs on Radio Shack components have to be taken with a lot of skepticism - they are often unbranded seconds.

Bottom line, either part will work in our motorcycling installations as long as you are not pulling more than 20A to have some margin. 20A is 240W, not likely that we have such loads - even the aftermarket horns pull less.

No need for the worry beads.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Me-thinks it was Celsius

Don't know what temp scale he was referring to. Farenheit, Celsius, Kelvin, etc. He was just concerned about the temp rating of what he had. It would make sense that the rating was in celsius as an 85* F relay would be pretty worthless!

rdwalker said:
I do not know of the post you are referring to, but I find it hard to believe the 85F rating of the original part (because I am in the business) - there are no general purpose parts rated that low - it's below human body temperature.

Most likely, the rating of the original relay was 85C - which is a typical industrial grade range (equals 185F).

Now, the new part you are referring to is indeed better. However, bear in mind that the specs on Radio Shack components have to be taken with a lot of skepticism - they are often unbranded seconds.

Bottom line, either part will work in our motorcycling installations as long as you are not pulling more than 20A to have some margin. 20A is 240W, not likely that we have such loads - even the aftermarket horns pull less.

No need for the worry beads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts