1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sigh

Hi Guys

2009 K1200LT

Real puzzler... Disconnected the radio and pulled it off the bike as I needed to add a USB cable. I have a waterproof box mounted on the pedestal and I keep my ipod in it. Wanted to charge the blessed thing.

Got it changed and put back the radio. triple check all the connectors. (I counted 3 towards the front of the bike, two towards the rear, antenna cable and one that runs to what appears to be a spare cable (power I suspect as they have 3 wires and it plugs into a female one that has a single white wire. Not to mention the CB Connector and helmet connector. Plus the connector that goes from the back of the radio to the control panel on top

Charged battery with tender running a pc680. Turned the key on and nothing. Dash indicator says radio, however the buttons such as on cd etc do not appear to have any power. even the ON button does not light.

Rechecked all the connectors again ensure they are tight and well connected. Took the radio out and checked the fuse behind the radio and used a VOM to ensure it was really working.

Next checked the fuse block under seat... all fuses with a vom all good. Map light in front and rear work fine

Read about disconnecting the battery and left it for an hour.

Checked every connector for bent pins etc. Cleaned even though connections look pristine.

I had the radio out once before and it did the same thing and I disconnected and reconnected the connectors and poof all working.

It is like there is no power going to the radio... hopefully it is not the dreaded dead radio syndrome. Anyone ever injected B+ into the big connector. A color code pinout would be very helpful and the clymer manual aint all that helpful.

Any suggestions?

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
sigh

Hi Guys

2009 K1200LT

Real puzzler... Disconnected the radio and pulled it off the bike as I needed to add a USB cable. I have a waterproof box mounted on the pedestal and I keep my ipod in it. Wanted to charge the blessed thing.

Got it changed and put back the radio. triple check all the connectors. (I counted 3 towards the front of the bike, two towards the rear, antenna cable and one that runs to what appears to be a spare cable (power I suspect as they have 3 wires and it plugs into a female one that has a single white wire. Not to mention the CB Connector and helmet connector. Plus the connector that goes from the back of the radio to the control panel on top

Charged battery with tender running a pc680. Turned the key on and nothing. Dash indicator says radio, however the buttons such as on cd etc do not appear to have any power. even the ON button does not light.

Rechecked all the connectors again ensure they are tight and well connected. Took the radio out and checked the fuse behind the radio and used a VOM to ensure it was really working.

Next checked the fuse block under seat... all fuses with a vom all good. Map light in front and rear work fine

Read about disconnecting the battery and left it for an hour.

Checked every connector for bent pins etc. Cleaned even though connections look pristine.

I had the radio out once before and it did the same thing and I disconnected and reconnected the connectors and poof all working.

It is like there is no power going to the radio... hopefully it is not the dreaded dead radio syndrome. Anyone ever injected B+ into the big connector. A color code pinout would be very helpful and the clymer manual aint all that helpful.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Did you disconnect the battery before you started disconnecting the other connectors?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulled the fuses but reading thru all the th reads it appears that there are multiple fuses that need to be pulled. first time I have seen a FM radio die like this course BMW likes to interconnect every thing. wonder if it is like chasing a rabbit down the hole. I am underwhelmed with the voice ii also might be time to scrap the radio and voice ii for something that works a little better. never had a problem with my 99 k12 course no intercom at all

tom

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
This might help but seriously try all the connectors again especially the barrel ones. Also re-seat the cable to the controller. Some day I will get this translated but Google is your German friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the schematic just what I was looking for! I cleaned all the connectors with stabalint and left the battery off for 24 hours reconnected everything while holding my tounge on the left this time and it worked. seriously though I am thinking of replacing the radio with the Jensen and an autocom for the voice ii. I like the look of the Jensen and support for my unique farkle needs are way easier to come by from the autocom folks as opposed to beemer or j&m. I am thinking of doing a little project like this using the existing bike connectors and a spare stingray I have laying around. great winter project when garage is cooler than a hundred (Florida u know). anyone have a spare stingray wiring harness they would part with? mine did not come with any wiring just the stingray

thanks for all the help

tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts