BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I had a look on the Alpine site but I couldn't see the models you listed. I did see a couple of others though. They had a CDE-205 DAB and a CDE-203 BT. Do either of these work with your kits Scimitar.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had a look on the Alpine site but I couldn't see the models you listed. I did see a couple of others though. They had a CDE-205 DAB and a CDE-203 BT. Do either of these work with your kits Scimitar.
I was quoting for the American market. The Australian market is more like the UK and in fact I use the CDE-205DAB as do a few of my Australian customers, inc Colin Sweeny who started the thread. In a nutshell, any fairly recent Alpine will work. The only exceptions being 20 year old models like the 103, 113 and the like. Anything that is compatible with the Alpine remote control will be fine.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I was quoting for the American market. The Australian market is more like the UK and in fact I use the CDE-205DAB as do a few of my Australian customers, inc Colin Sweeny who started the thread. In a nutshell, any fairly recent Alpine will work. The only exceptions being 20 year old models like the 103, 113 and the like. Anything that is compatible with the Alpine remote control will be fine.
Oh great. I was planning on getting my old radio repaired. I was down to only one speaker. This thread got me thinking about just replacing it. Could you recommend to me what I would need from you to work with the CDE-205DAB unit. I take it these units just mount up in the old space the same way the original does?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Oh great. I was planning on getting my old radio repaired. I was down to only one speaker. This thread got me thinking about just replacing it.
You will wish that you had done it sooner!

Could you recommend to me what I would need from you to work with the CDE-205DAB unit. I take it these units just mount up in the old space the same way the original does?
Yes, the original radio is a single DIN which is standard. You put the new radio into its mounting frame and put that into the rubber surround. At the rear, you might have to cobble something because the BMW grommet and the plug with the Alpine are generally different sizes. What I have done in the past is use a long M4 screw and a number of M5 nuts to make a stud that fits the BMW grommet. It will be obvious what is needed once you are in there.

There are various ways to install the controller. The nicest way is to chop off the BMW radio plug and hardwire the Alpine loom directly to it, with the module plug piggy backed onto it. If you are not confident about doing that, I offer a "plug and play" loom adapter, the drawback being that it is a bit bulky and although it will all go in, it's a bit tight.

For DAB purposes, you need a DAB / FM splitter, also available from your local store, or my webshop. You need Fakra input and ISO output on the FM side, your 'bike being a facelift.

The module comes with a Velcro pad which you mount on top of the radio, behind the plastic partition. The IR blaster eye sits in front of the radio somewhere convenient. You can experiment with the positioning to give maximum reliability and minimum mess.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You will wish that you had done it sooner!

Yes, the original radio is a single DIN which is standard. You put the new radio into its mounting frame and put that into the rubber surround. At the rear, you might have to cobble something because the BMW grommet and the plug with the Alpine are generally different sizes. What I have done in the past is use a long M4 screw and a number of M5 nuts to make a stud that fits the BMW grommet. It will be obvious what is needed once you are in there.

There are various ways to install the controller. The nicest way is to chop off the BMW radio plug and hardwire the Alpine loom directly to it, with the module plug piggy backed onto it. If you are not confident about doing that, I offer a "plug and play" loom adapter, the drawback being that it is a bit bulky and although it will all go in, it's a bit tight.

For DAB purposes, you need a DAB / FM splitter, also available from your local store, or my webshop. You need Fakra input and ISO output on the FM side, your 'bike being a facelift.

The module comes with a Velcro pad which you mount on top of the radio, behind the plastic partition. The IR blaster eye sits in front of the radio somewhere convenient. You can experiment with the positioning to give maximum reliability and minimum mess.
I can appreciate the hard wire option being the best one. I handle control wiring on a regular basis in my line of work so as long as I've got a wiring diagram I'm fine and I'm up for a bit of soldering and heat shrink. I have had the bike in bits so often lately and right now it's completely stripped and ready for an ABS delete. I removed the radio a few weeks ago during one of my strip downs. I like the idea of having the DAB option so I would need the splitter.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can appreciate the hard wire option being the best one. I handle control wiring on a regular basis in my line of work so as long as I've got a wiring diagram I'm fine and I'm up for a bit of soldering and heat shrink.
Instruction manual attached for your interest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I am in the process of ordering the bits and pieces from AJL to replace the original radio/cassette on my 2000 BMW K1200LT with a new Alpine CDE-172BT receiver (US product). I am confused about a couple of things:
1) Is the IR Blaster optional for reading instructions from a remote (which my radio does not have) or is it required to provide a direct link between the Alpine receiver and the ibus module?
2) Future software upgrades require an external USB connection to the ibus module, however, it is not clear how the USB plugs into the ibus module. Is there a mini-usb port somewhere that I can't see from the photos, or some other connection type?

Dave

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am in the process of ordering the bits and pieces from AJL to replace the original radio/cassette on my 2000 BMW K1200LT with a new Alpine CDE-172BT receiver (US product). I am confused about a couple of things:
1) Is the IR Blaster optional for reading instructions from a remote (which my radio does not have) or is it required to provide a direct link between the Alpine receiver and the ibus module?
2) Future software upgrades require an external USB connection to the ibus module, however, it is not clear how the USB plugs into the ibus module. Is there a mini-usb port somewhere that I can't see from the photos, or some other connection type?
The Alpine receiver has an IR receiver built into its front panel, so to be compatible with its optional hand held remote. My module emulates that remote and is the method it uses for controlling the radio. The module arrives ready programmed for your Alpine and also comes with the mini IR blaster head that you will install somewhere convenient where it can see the sensor.

There is a mini USB socket in the side of the module for the programming cable. The short USB A to mini USB lead to suit is provided in the kit.
Vision care Eyewear Wood Bicycle handlebar Measuring instrument

I have just tweaked the installation manual, so here is the latest version:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Andy,

finally managed to get the bike out and the radio performed perfectly. I couldn’t hear the radio or CD at highway speeds with the BMW radio, but can now hear clearly, and that’s with earmold ear plugs in.

thanks for all your help and advice. It made the installation go smoothly.
Cheers, Colin

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hi Andy,

finally managed to get the bike out and the radio performed perfectly. I couldn’t hear the radio or CD at highway speeds with the BMW radio, but can now hear clearly, and that’s with earmold ear plugs in.

thanks for all your help and advice. It made the installation go smoothly.
Cheers, Colin
And the nearby traffic thanks you also. 😆

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been waiting for a while for this mode of volume attenuation with speed, like other users who have done the ALPINE modification, that's what interested me in this purchase.
If ANDY is not going to make this modification, as he promised, he should say so on his site.
I would like to add that his module works perfectly except for this point that bothers me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It will happen Chris but it is far more complex than it appears. Different radios have different steps for volume, so it is still in development.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts