BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some information for those struggling with the BMW radio.

I purchased an Alpine digital radio to replace the BMW radio that had reached its use by date. My issue was that I still wanted to use my BMW controls. I had done some research and came across an interface unit supplied by Andy at AJL electronics in England.

The interface turned up and it’s software suits the radio that you bought. Check first to see availability of radios. I went the easy way and purchased the radio that Andy has on his bike.

The unit has now been installed on my bike and it works the same as the BMW radio, only better. The volume control on the handlebars works and there’s supposed to be a speed volume upgrade in the works. A usb is supplied that links to the interface and sits in the front of the radio so it’s a simple matter to do any software upgrades, that is a free service.

If you are after a radio upgrade give Andy a go. I’m a complete bunny when it comes to electronics, but this is a plug-and-play with no soldering or fiddling involved. The only issue is fitting all the interface in the stingray, but it does fit.
Cheers,
Colin

·
Registered
44 Posts

I purchased an Alpine digital radio to replace the BMW radio that had reached its use by date. My issue was that I still wanted to use my BMW controls. I had done some research and came across an interface unit supplied by Andy at AJL electronics in England.

The interface turned up and it’s software suits the radio that you bought. Check first to see availability of radios. I went the easy way and purchased the radio that Andy has on his bike.

The unit has now been installed on my bike and it works the same as the BMW radio, only better. The volume control on the handlebars works and there’s supposed to be a speed volume upgrade in the works. A usb is supplied that links to the interface and sits in the front of the radio so it’s a simple matter to do any software upgrades, that is a free service.

If you are after a radio upgrade give Andy a go. I’m a complete bunny when it comes to electronics, but this is a plug-and-play with no soldering or fiddling involved. The only issue is fitting all the interface in the stingray, but it does fit.
Cheers,
Colin
Any pics? Change the Speakers also?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, didn’t think to take photos. The original speakers are working fine so no need to be replaced. Very happy with the result. Is digital and has provision for Bluetooth and USB.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very cool... Does the Handlebar & Bat Wing all function the same? and if you have a CD changer will that also function the same,,, Though I guess if I did this I'd pull the changer and gain the space in my saddlebag...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Very cool... Does the Handlebar & Bat Wing all function the same? and if you have a CD changer will that also function the same,,, Though I guess if I did this I'd pull the changer and gain the space in my saddlebag...
The idea is that it replicates the functions of the BMW radio. Some things are not possible to replicate totally because there is no physical data connection between the new radio and 'bike. However, assumptions can be made and are! Therefore the controls all work, handlebars as well as stingray and the display continues to be useful. There is also an accessory switched output from the SCRP button, for lights or whatever. I use it for PTT on my comm's radio. It currently doesn't support the CD changer, but that software is in Beta, hopefully it will be refined enough for release by Christmas.

I have just run out of my current stock, but I have managed to rush through a new order for the latest version and the boards arrived today. Once I have built a few and given them a full test, they will be ready for sale. This is the first board under construction and is already pre-ordered by a South African customer. Full details are on my website: Ibus radio converter, click here.

Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic component Font

Wood Font Audio equipment Cable Electronic component

·
Registered
17 Posts

Cheers,
Colin
Colin, I did the same on my 05. Works great but if you want the satellite radio you need to install the module. I did that the second time around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy is in the process of building an interface for the 6 stack but I pulled mine out to free up space in the pannier. I have an old iPhone that now carries my downloaded music and I have this playing through the usb connection. The CD button changes the function on the phone and the controls work on the handlebars. I think it was about £150 all up.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I am curious which particular Alpine model you used for your LT. I don't want to end up with one that is too large for the stingray, particulary with all the extra bits that have to fit in there besides the radio unit.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am curious which particular Alpine model you used for your LT. I don't want to end up with one that is too large for the stingray, particulary with all the extra bits that have to fit in there besides the radio unit.

Thanks,

Dave
That was a CDE-205DAB which is not available (or useful) in the USA. Your most popular model is the CDE-172BT / CDE-173BT which has Pandora and SiriusXM options. The single DIN radios are all the same dimensions and all will be a direct fit replacement for the factory radio. The "mechless" radios are slightly shorter front to back because they don't need to accomodate the CD drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That was a CDE-205DAB which is not available (or useful) in the USA. Your most popular model is the CDE-172BT / CDE-173BT which has Pandora and SiriusXM options. The single DIN radios are all the same dimensions and all will be a direct fit replacement for the factory radio. The "mechless" radios are slightly shorter front to back because they don't need to accomodate the CD drive.
They are both discontinued

·
Registered
486 Posts
They are both discontinued
According to the Alpine (Crutchfield) site, the CDE-170BT, CDE-172BT and the CDE-175BT are all current. There is also the UTE-73BT mechless version.

You can use lesser brands of course, but it seems a shame to go downmarket!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts