BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '01 LT for about a year now and was just curious if it is just mine or if they all had bad reception on the radio. It is not a big deal to me, I generally use the cd changer with home made cds with mass variety of music. I have even had thoughts of taking the antenna off because it seems useless and after coming home in a storm thought it would help attract lighting. I would like to use the radio now and then to hear traffic info on local stations and weather so I was curious if maybe something might be wrong.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,350 Posts
If you unscrew the antenna and clean up the contacts that often improves the reception. Many here have replaced the ant with an after market unit that stays out of site and is amplified.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did you know that there is a sensitivity adjustment on the radio, kind of like the local/distant setting on most radios? I haven't tried it myself, but the radio quick start guide states: During a seek, press the key twice within this time to change the sensitivity between I and II...I am assuming it is the seek key or button. I'll have to try it myself when I get off work on Wednesday evening....Yes, long hours! But definately clean up the antenna fersure!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I found on mine that the ground side of the coax was not making good contact. The radio needs 2 sides of the antenna to work well. The whip is the center conductor and the shield of the coax needs to be physically connected to the frame. (metal not plastic). Also there prolly is another connector along the way that may be loose or corroded. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
BMW changed the antenna on or about 2004. My 02's reception was terrible. My dealer warranted it in 2004 and installed the upgraded and new design.

The newer design had a much beefer contact at the bottom of the mast.

And yes, it was a great improvement in reception.

In addition, the newer design antenna came with a plastic thumb wrench that is used to remove the mast.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I removed the antenna and mount. Copper tape around the inside of the trunk.and #24 insulated wire to connect to the coax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts