BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2002 LTC for 7 years. Have put 35k miles on it. Love the bike except I have always been disappointed by the abysmal radio reception. Learned through the threads here that the problem is not the radio but the antenna. Finally decided I was going try and fix the problem and I think I came up with a working solution. Here it is.

1. Disassemble the antenna by pulling the plastic antenna cover, removing the plug-in nut, pulling out the antenna mast, and removing the cable holder plate on the underside of the mounting bracket.

2. Pull down on the antenna cable to remove it from the antenna mounting bracket.

3. Using a pliers, pull the center pin out of the plastic sleeve on the antenna cable.

4. Take the antenna mast and grind down the bottom portion of the mast to the length and diameter of the pin that was removed from antenna cable.

5. Put the bottom 1 1/2" of the antenna mast into a vice. Using a vice grip, bend the mast to match the angle of the bend in the mounting bracket.

6. Feed the antenna through the mounting bracket and slide the bottom of the mast into the antenna cable hole where you removed the pin. Push the cable back up into the mounting bracket and reinstall the cable holder plate.

7. Slide the insulator sleeves back on the antenna and tighten the plug-in nut and voila, you have a working radio again.

One note, it helps to have the radio on when re-assembling the antenna to make sure everything is making appropriate contact.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 03 that has reception issues off and on. I am having a hard time visualizing your instructions but maybe they will make more sense after I follow step one.

Thanks for posting your fix and I will try it tomorrow. I think I'm more of a picture person than reading instructions :)

Thank you,
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried loading this antenna assembly diagram when I posted but the site kept giving me errors. I hope this helps. If not, I can take some pics and load them up. Should have taken some pics during the process since I had my phone with me.

Sorry...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using the diagram I just posted, here are the directions with numbers relating to parts I mention:

1. Disassemble the antenna by pulling the plastic antenna cover (#9), removing the plug-in nut (not shown on the diagram, but it's the big nut holding the mast in place), pulling out the antenna mast (#10), and removing the cable holder plate (#3) on the underside of the mounting bracket.

2. Pull down on the antenna cable to remove it from the antenna mounting bracket.

3. Using a pliers, pull the center pin out of the plastic sleeve on the antenna cable. (see attached photo)

4. Take the antenna mast and grind down the bottom portion of the mast to the length and diameter of the pin that was removed from antenna cable.

5. Put the bottom 1 1/2" of the antenna mast into a vice. Using a vice grip, bend the mast to match the angle of the bend in the mounting bracket.

6. Feed the antenna through the mounting bracket and slide the bottom of the mast into the antenna cable hole where you removed the pin. Push the cable back up into the mounting bracket and reinstall the cable holder plate #3).

7. Slide the insulator sleeves back on the antenna and tighten the plug-in nut and voila, you have a working radio again.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
lemahieu and deanwoolsey,

Thank you for clarifying the instructions. What threw me off was the spring on the bottom of the antenna mast. After I pulled that off, the rest of the instructions made perfect sense.

I followed the guidance and the radio seems much better in the garage, but heading to work tomorrow will be the real test. I'm tired of the radio cutting in and out every time I hit a bump so I'm hoping this will be the fix.

Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts