BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input from you wise sages of LT domain. I purchased a dealer maintained '03 with 17k miles on it. I have ridden it for a couple of months. On a sunny day I am flying down the interstate and the radio goes out. Radio, com, cd. Dead. when I turn it on, I get a glow from the LCD screen but little else.

I have unplugged the battery (which is new) waited 30 minutes (actually a couple of hours) and re-powered, and same result. Checked fuse. Dealer says new radio time. Any suggestions?

TIA

Tim

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Yep time for a new / Preowned radio. I found a good used one for about $250.00 when mine went out.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, checked the fuses. is there a bone yard online for used radios?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
We have a cassette style radio from our salvaged LT if you cannot solve the problem with fuses or re-setting the radio. If interested PM us, but make it soon, as we are hitting the road for CCR next week!

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am assuming that by "resetting" everyone means disconnecting the battery. Thanks to the postings that was the first thing I tried. Then checked fuses, then took the stingray apart.
I have a CD player. As this is a new venture, is it safe to assume that I need to replace it with the same?

T

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
thoganco said:
I am assuming that by "resetting" everyone means disconnecting the battery. Thanks to the postings that was the first thing I tried. Then checked fuses, then took the stingray apart.
I have a CD player. As this is a new venture, is it safe to assume that I need to replace it with the same?

T
We just replaced a single CD radio with a cassette radio in Jim Bain's '03 without any problem. The advantage of the cassette, (for some) is that you can use it to play MP3 as I do on my bike.

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
katnapinn said:
HERE is on on E-Bay

If you do go this route and I suggest you do at this point (its dirt cheap) make sure you use your harnesses if you have a comsystem. they are different. As for the cass vs. cd. No problems should be encountered...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went the after market route. I don't know which is bad in my factory unit, the circuit board or the head unit of my old radio. I would guess it is the circuit board but I can't be sure. I had a leak at the bottom of the plastic display window that covers the RDU. I found some corrosion on the board and cleaned it very gently but it still didn't work, Just a glow in the on button.

Anyway, I will sell the radio, the circuit board in a plastic bag without the RDU cover and my 6 cd changer for $100 plus actual shipping if that would help you out any. The cd player has worked fine since I bought the bike but it won't talk to my new radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is there a definitive way to isolate where the issue is originating from?
I do have BMW com as well. (if it makes a difference)

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
thoganco said:
is there a definitive way to isolate where the issue is originating from?
I do have BMW com as well. (if it makes a difference)
No definitive way to track down the source of the issue to my knowledge. those Germans are bad on support of their product to the novice (Non-certified) types. I would however suspect the RDU as the issue as it controls everything. This seems to be the week point of the system. I have not heard of the CD/cassette going bad other than the play functions. The internals of the CD/Cassette are the "working" guts of the system.

I asked about the Comsystem as the wiring harness that will come with the EBAY stingray will have to be altered to fit your bike unless you use the harness that you have now. Just use the hard parts not the wiring and it should be a plug-and-play day.

Did the reset not work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts