BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 1999 K1200 LT with 86,000 miles. Awesome machine. Was owned by a BMWOA member and Iron-butt type in Sparks, NV. Thanks if you're out there! Only one real nuisance is the radio; the "separate" manual didn't come with the bike and although I appreciate the spirit of international symbology, the ON/OFF button is the only one I truly understand. Where can I find a description of the control unit buttons? Forgot to mention the control unit has spent so much time in the sun I cannot read any of the numbers or letters that I can barely make out on the display (if the light is angled just right). Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the cloudiness on the display without buying a new control unit for $400?

Thank you for all the information on this site. Great job!

Didi Molenaar in Coronado, CA :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go over the face plate of the display with alcohol. I think I saw in another thread that it gets moisture inside of it and the alcohol dries it out. As for the switch I don't know without having the bike here in the basement. And it would most likely be different from my 02 LT.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Potential fix

Thanks for the idea on the display window. As for the control buttons, they appear to be identical on any of the control units I've seen except the location of the display window changed in later years to a position closer to the rider. I am referring to the 8 buttons located on top of the control unit. The top right button is the ON/OFF button and the rest are a combination of abbreviations and symbols that are not mentioned in either the Rider's Manual or the Service Manual. I am looking for a functional description of the 7 buttons besides the ON/OFF.

I really appreciate your response and will try some Isopropyl tomorrow!

Didi :)

PS - Of course if the alcohol works (as I hope it does) I should be able to figure it out!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Radio manual

I think this will help :)
Right click and save to your computer or print them out if you want.
Welcome to the LT forum
please update your profile so we can get to know you.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

Thanks to Dick, Paul, and Hans I have the information I need to fully utilize my radio/cd/cassette system. Thanks again.

And Hans, I have updated my profile.

Talk to you later,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Isopropyl Alcohol worked like magic. I can see the display like new! Imagine my relief upon realizing one swab of alcohol saved me potentially buying a new control unit.

Thanks again,

Didi

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Now that you've got your display clear again - give it a coat of wax. Same stuff you use on your bike's finish. That'll prevent the problem from come'n back :thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tate! The response I have received from you and others in this community is about the best thing that happened to me all week (and it wasn't a bad week at all).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts