BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 03 LT about 10 months ago and I really love riding it. The only problem I've had is with the radio. Not long after I bought my bike, the radio quit working and now its gone out again. Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong. Or is this just a on going problem that BMW is having? Help me please

·
Registered
291 Posts
03 Radio

jmc88_2 said:
I purchased my 03 LT about 10 months ago and I really love riding it. The only problem I've had is with the radio. Not long after I bought my bike, the radio quit working and now its gone out again. Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong. Or is this just a on going problem that BMW is having? Help me please
Mine has gone out twice from unknown causes. Fortunately it has been repaired under warrantee.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Have you tried a radio reboot. It works quite often....disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes, then reconnect it. Hope it works for you!

Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Back Speakers Don't Work

Hi:

I have a 99 LT and the back speakers don't work. Any idea's? Is this common as they told me at the dealer?

Thanks,

Kirk1111
K1200LT
Suzuki Cavalcade
Yam. 1100S
Yam 550 Seca

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Kirk1111 said:
Hi:

I have a 99 LT and the back speakers don't work. Any idea's? Is this common as they told me at the dealer?

Thanks,

Kirk1111
K1200LT
Suzuki Cavalcade
Yam. 1100S
Yam 550 Seca
IT is NOT common. Have you pushed the music clef button on the panel above the radio display? Pushing it several times will take you to the *fade* display and then pushing the left handlebar 'volume/seek' disk will take the sound to front speakers only/front-back speakers/back speakers only. If that doesn't work, then under the passenger seat, there are two barrel connectors - make sure each has a tight fit and maybe twist them apart and apply some di-electric grease to the pinholes and reconnect. Other than that, I'm not sure where your problem lies. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Can't believe the dealer couldn't diagnose a radio problem?!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Radio

I hope this is not a hijack. It is not meant as that. It seems that there are some quirky happenings with the comm system.

I have an '02 LTE. The problem I am experiencing is that with the helmet speakers the volume on the left speaker is so low that I have to offset the balance of left and right speakers to a 9 to the left. Only then can I hear stereo sound. Yet, if I switch to external speakers that is not necessary, since both left and right channels work OK. For a while I thought it was the helmet speakers, but that assumption turned out to be incorrect when I upgraded to top of the line J&M speakers.

Occasionally, the radio does not work at all, but the CD changer and the Satellite radio work, and then, at a later session it works fine. The left-right problem, however, does remain. All other functions of the radio seem to work fine.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
ademarzi said:
I hope this is not a hijack. It is not meant as that. It seems that there are some quirky happenings with the comm system.

I have an '02 LTE. The problem I am experiencing is that with the helmet speakers the volume on the left speaker is so low that I have to offset the balance of left and right speakers to a 9 to the left. Only then can I hear stereo sound. Yet, if I switch to external speakers that is not necessary, since both left and right channels work OK. For a while I thought it was the helmet speakers, but that assumption turned out to be incorrect when I upgraded to top of the line J&M speakers.

Occasionally, the radio does not work at all, but the CD changer and the Satellite radio work, and then, at a later session it works fine. The left-right problem, however, does remain. All other functions of the radio seem to work fine.
Alvaro, what are you using for a comm. system? When you replaced your helmet speakers, how far into the wiring harness did you replace --- to the helmet connectors; just at the speakers; or the entire helmet harness?

Sounds to me like the problem might lie in the left/right speaker connection within the helmet harness. For example, I have an AutoComm unit and I did have to disconnect and reconnect the two-pin connector at the helmet. I goofed and didn't get one of the pins seated good - got the same type of one weak helmet speaker like you described. I redid the connection and made sure the two-pin unit engaged fully --- problem went away and I'm back to center-mode for the fade balance feature, with both speakers working fine.

Hope you find a solution for yours, cuz it is extremely aggravating to have to listen to un-balanced speaker output!! Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dick,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have replaced the two connectors (it was one of the first things I did) using the passenger wires, and also connecting to the rear outlet. Same problem. I will try the radio re-boot as it was suggested in a rprior response. Hopefully it will work. I am planning a two month coast to coast trip this summer and I want to be sure I have sounds with me for the trip.

As far as the comm system, it is the one that came from the factory. The Orca is an '02 LTE, and even though I bought it used, I think when it was originally purchased it was included with CD changer, CB radio, etc..

Puzzling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts