BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there
I hope you may be able to shed some light on a problem with the radio. Took the bike for a 130mile run today and decided to use the radio,turned it on it started playing then it shut down and the display showed (phone) on the display then the display would switch back to normal display i.e radio channel name and play for a few seconds then go back to phone and no sound.
On returning home tried the radio again and still the same , but would not turn off unless you turned the key to the steering lock position.
the bike has been stood outside in heavy rain but has never been affected before.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?
Cheers Hovis

·
Registered
88 Posts
Radio reset

My radio shuts down periodically. I have a theory that during the starting processes if the batt. not up to par it will cause the radio to shut down.

I have been turning off the radio before I start the bike or when I park and have not had the issue as often.

If you disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and then reconnect it should reset the radio.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Sounds like you've got some water into the wiring. Usually the connectors beneath the "stingray".

We usually apply electrical contact grease and it eliminates/minimizes corrosion as well as the intermittent electrical "gremlins"...

A single drop can wreak havoc on an electrical system.. so, when you can, unplug, dry, grease, reassemble the connectors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Connector Access

cfell said:
Sounds like you've got some water into the wiring. Usually the connectors beneath the "stingray".

We usually apply electrical contact grease and it eliminates/minimizes corrosion as well as the intermittent electrical "gremlins"...

A single drop can wreak havoc on an electrical system.. so, when you can, unplug, dry, grease, reassemble the connectors.
Am having audio problems w/ my '02. MAJOR static, audio & IC dropping out...

So, how much digging is it to get to the "stingray" and the connectors? :confused:

·
Registered
878 Posts
To get at all of the connectors, you will need to remove the side fairings (upper) and then 6 screws in the stingray.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Me Too

The radio on my 99 LT sometimes will not turn off. I have to rap the top of the stingray to get it to turn off. I've pulled it off and cleaned everything and applied the electrical contact grease with no real change noted. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it does it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts