BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a trip last week, my radio/intercom experienced a strange failure mode. From what I have researched thus far in the archives, I will first try the "hard radio reset"procedure (battery disconnect), but I am curious as to whether anyone else has seen this failure mode. I did not find my particular mode in the archives thus far.

Basically, I was listening to an iPOD plugged into the AUX jack through my BMW headsets. The music suddenly stopped working. I switched back to the FM radio and it played fine through the headsets. After the next fuel stop, even the radio would not play. I then started experimentingand found that the radio would play through the speakers, but not the helmet headsets. I didn't try the iPOD as I had disconnected it at that point thinking maybe it was part of the problem.

Has anyone had their system fail this way where the music plays only through the speakers? The strange part is that the intercom still worked and I could still hear both the CB and the GPS through the headsets. It is ONLY the radio and AUX input that won't come through the headsets. Strange.

I am hoping the hard reset works as my warranty expired at the end of June. Figures...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Voyager said:
While on a trip last week, my radio/intercom experienced a strange failure mode. From what I have researched thus far in the archives, I will first try the "hard radio reset"procedure (battery disconnect), but I am curious as to whether anyone else has seen this failure mode. I did not find my particular mode in the archives thus far.

Basically, I was listening to an iPOD plugged into the AUX jack through my BMW headsets. The music suddenly stopped working. I switched back to the FM radio and it played fine through the headsets. After the next fuel stop, even the radio would not play. I then started experimentingand found that the radio would play through the speakers, but not the helmet headsets. I didn't try the iPOD as I had disconnected it at that point thinking maybe it was part of the problem.

Has anyone had their system fail this way where the music plays only through the speakers? The strange part is that the intercom still worked and I could still hear both the CB and the GPS through the headsets. It is ONLY the radio and AUX input that won't come through the headsets. Strange.

I am hoping the hard reset works as my warranty expired at the end of June. Figures...
Interesting. Mine failed last year, but I did not try to see if GPS still worked through the headsets. I had assumed the push button switch had failed and have a note to check it next time stingray is off. Next time I get on it I will put the GPS on and see if I get audio from it even though i do not get radio or AUX output.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VRodPete said:
Interesting. Mine failed last year, but I did not try to see if GPS still worked through the headsets. I had assumed the push button switch had failed and have a note to check it next time stingray is off. Next time I get on it I will put the GPS on and see if I get audio from it even though i do not get radio or AUX output.
Have you tried the "disconnect the battery for 20 minutes" trick?

What button do you think could have failed? My radio/intercom cycles through all of the modes just fine so I don't think mine can be due to a button failure. However, I would like to know your thinking on this as I may be missing something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VRodPete said:
Interesting. Mine failed last year, but I did not try to see if GPS still worked through the headsets. I had assumed the push button switch had failed and have a note to check it next time stingray is off. Next time I get on it I will put the GPS on and see if I get audio from it even though i do not get radio or AUX output.
Do you get radio through the bike's speakers? Please let me know if you are getting GPS commands through your headset as that would make your failure appear to be the same as mine. We can then share our troubleshooting methods and results. :)

And hopefully find a solution that doesn't require an AMU or two of cost!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Voyager said:
Have you tried the "disconnect the battery for 20 minutes" trick?

What button do you think could have failed? My radio/intercom cycles through all of the modes just fine so I don't think mine can be due to a button failure. However, I would like to know your thinking on this as I may be missing something.
Battery disconnect trick did not work, tried that twice. I have a 2001, so my intercom (perhaps you have a newer, which would negate this whole discussion?) has a button inside the oddments box to switch between speakers and headset. It is a push-button toggle and does not feel like it engages very smartly, which is why I just thought that had failed. EDIT: I see you have a 2007, so I doubt we can share much info. Sorry - but I will still try to see what I can find out with my problem Friday.

I am currently out of town, will be back at the end of the week and will give the GPS a try and post up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VRodPete said:
Battery disconnect trick did not work, tried that twice. I have a 2001, so my intercom (perhaps you have a newer, which would negate this whole discussion?) has a button inside the oddments box to switch between speakers and headset. It is a push-button toggle and does not feel like it engages very smartly, which is why I just thought that had failed. EDIT: I see you have a 2007, so I doubt we can share much info. Sorry - but I will still try to see what I can find out with my problem Friday.

I am currently out of town, will be back at the end of the week and will give the GPS a try and post up.
Yes, I have the VOICE II intercom with the rotary selector knob. I can cycle through all functions OK so I don't think mind is a knob/switch issue. I'm hoping it is just the system getting in a strange state. I'm out of town also which is why I haven't yet tried the "hard reset" fix. I will do that first this weekend before I do much else.

It just seems odd that some functions work (GPS voice and the intercom) and some don't (FM radio and iPod via the AUX input).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VRodPete said:
Battery disconnect trick did not work, tried that twice. I have a 2001, so my intercom (perhaps you have a newer, which would negate this whole discussion?) has a button inside the oddments box to switch between speakers and headset. It is a push-button toggle and does not feel like it engages very smartly, which is why I just thought that had failed. EDIT: I see you have a 2007, so I doubt we can share much info. Sorry - but I will still try to see what I can find out with my problem Friday.

I am currently out of town, will be back at the end of the week and will give the GPS a try and post up.
Well, I am happy to report that the "hard reset" work on my 07 LT. I disconnected the ground terminal when I got home this evening and hooked it back up after supper. Presto, the music is alive again in the helmets.

I may have to install a "radio reboot" switch somewhere so I don't have to remove the battery terminal every time this happens. Then again, this is the first time in 3 years and 19,000 miles that it has happened so if it stays at this frequency, it won't be too bad.

I think I read in the forum somewhere that the radio has two different power sources so it isn't trivial to totally cut the power short of unhooking the battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Voyager said:
Well, I am happy to report that the "hard reset" work on my 07 LT. I disconnected the ground terminal when I got home this evening and hooked it back up after supper. Presto, the music is alive again in the helmets.

I may have to install a "radio reboot" switch somewhere so I don't have to remove the battery terminal every time this happens. Then again, this is the first time in 3 years and 19,000 miles that it has happened so if it stays at this frequency, it won't be too bad.

I think I read in the forum somewhere that the radio has two different power sources so it isn't trivial to totally cut the power short of unhooking the battery.

Well, less than a week after the hard reset, the radio has lost audio again to the headsets, but only the music, not the CB or GPS audio. This is bizarre and annoying. Is anyone aware of a permanent fix for this? Does this affect pretty much all BMW radios? This would rule out a replacement radio as a fix. I'm assuming this is a radio issue and not an intercom issue since the other devices still work fine through the intercom. Then again, the radio plays fine through the bike speakers so hard to say if it is a radio problem or an intercom problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Voyager said:
Well, less than a week after the hard reset, the radio has lost audio again to the headsets, but only the music, not the CB or GPS audio. This is bizarre and annoying. Is anyone aware of a permanent fix for this? Does this affect pretty much all BMW radios? This would rule out a replacement radio as a fix. I'm assuming this is a radio issue and not an intercom issue since the other devices still work fine through the intercom. Then again, the radio plays fine through the bike speakers so hard to say if it is a radio problem or an intercom problem.
Well, I tried pulling the radio fuse (fuse #4, 7.5A, fuse box on the right side of the bike) and this corrected the problem again. No need to mess with unhooking the battery.

Still would like to know what the root cause is and whether it can be corrected. I think someone else mentioned that a weak battery might be the cause. I am beginning to think that is plausible as my battery is more than 3 years old and this first happened after 3 years and while on a trip where I couldn't plug in the battery maintainer at night. It may be that the battery voltage is dropping low enough overnight to cause problems, but the bike still starts smartly and the ABS hasn't complained about low voltage.

Still a mystery.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top