BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here please. I have a 2002 1200 LT with the radio / cassette. I'm getting a static / distortion in what sounds like my rear speakers (not the fronts from what I can tell) after the radio is on for a couple of minutes and seems to heat up. Engine does not have to be running. If I fade rear to front I still have the static / noise in the rear speakers. Balance does not make a difference. Mute reduces it but un-mute returns the noise. Playing the CD or radio makes no difference, it comes on with either. When the noise comes on, the radio/CD is still playing (I can hear the songs) but volume is reduced (distorted?) and the snap, crackle, pop overshadows the music. If I turn off the radio for a minute and turn it back on it seems to fix itself but after a couple of minutes the noise is back. I found a previous thread from Aug 5th, 2008 (3 years to the day, how interesting) from gdroege describing very similar problems but the thread ends on the 6th. I was wondering if anyone has or had any updates and or solutions. I will try the CD wire solution as suggested by sparky in that thread but that was 3 years ago. Anybody? ... Bueller? ... Bueller? ...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same issue with my 02. A firm wack with the side of my fist on the moniker works or, I run the volume to max and back to normal takes care of the problem

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Can be the final amps in the radio but it also could be dirty connectors. The rear speaker signal passes through three sets of connectors. One on the back of the radio box, one barrel under the left side of the stingray and one barrel under the pillion seat. The tw barrel connectors are fairly easy to get to and would do well with a god racking (disconnect and reconnect several times) followed by a liberal application of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions ... I will try both. I played around with it late yesterday and when the noise came I opened the right side compartment, took out my travel cover and somewhat slammed the case shut and how about that ... the noise stopped. Soooo ... that might lead to connections as suggested so back to it ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Charley: I am experiencing similar on my 03 LT. It started after they undressed her to check valve clearance. They said its normal for its age. I suspect they weren't careful on the reassembly. If I divert it all to the right side speakers I get no crackle. If I don't I get intermittent snap,crackle,pop. And using volume button causes the same. Until my budget allows I try to focus on the things I luv about the ole girl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts