BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to everyone. i am an 2000 k 1200 lt owner for two days now! today i washed it with pressure and i washed also the cassette player inside the dashboard (ok i know im a bit stupid but it was dirty!!). from then the radio does not play and shows the message (no radio). the fuses are ok. i hope that if it dries in the sun it will fix. if it dies not fix what can i do? please help me because i live in greece end the money is low! thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Yes pressure wash is BAD. The rubber buttons on the radio will leak with age and then water gets into the controller. The radio is in the same box as the cassette. With luck it will dry out OK.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
There is also a fuse on the back of the radio. Of course to get to it, you have to remove lots of panels!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Never use pressure wash for bike(s). Lesson learnt. Also washing electronic components is bad. I always cover the radio buttons/controls when washing. Do also cover them for night if bike is outside / when travelling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot for the suggestions. sunshine does not seem to fix the problem. i may have to remove the panels.:crying:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same exact issue. Pressure washed it. Same thing. No radio. I took everything off checked the fuse behind the radio. That was good. All fused were good. I've come down to the little computer part with the led screen that has fried.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
That part is the controller for the radio and you can open it up to the board and dry it out. The issue could still be in there even if the display works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
That part is the controller for the radio and you can open it up to the board and dry it out. The issue could still be in there even if the display works.
Hi John, on your picture, is the fuse at the rear of the unit visible? I think this is probably why my radio stopped working after going through a constant natural power wash to and from Coeur d'Alene last year. Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2005 LT. I wash it with out a pressure washer just a garden hose. Wipe it all off put it in the garage the next morning the battery was dead would not start. I just put the battery tender on it for the day. That next night it started up and the radio did not work. Of course I thought of the worst amp fried. I ran all summer with no radio or cd player. So last fall I removed the radio and sent it across the pond. When Borus got the radio it worked fine. Try disconnecting the battery the radio might reboot and start working. Long story short I had him put the big amp in and aux. port and charger. I got the radio back put it in and all worked great.
Hope this helps.
randyg

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't had any precursor to the failure, but tried to turn mine on last night and nothing. Also all of the control buttons are no longer lit. The fuse under the seat is good. I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but is the likely culprit the fuse on the radio itself? Or is there a connector that I could have disconnected that would cause this? Not that I recall loosening or disconnecting anything lately, but I did move the top box forward a few weeks back, and I rarely use the radio, so I might not have noticed anything amiss at that time....

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
The radio on my '02 would crap out if *any* water got on it, even a gentle rain. I used to bungee a cover over the control buttons at night when outside.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey there, J, you're in Phoenix, we gotta get together, Brother! PM me if you want to ride, or wrench, or just hang out!

That said, when you say "crap out" did it take out a fuse, or just start working again when dry? Mine didn't get wet, not lately anyway, but the couple of times I rode in the rain might have taken it out and I've not noticed til now, if indeed it will blow the fuse if wet.

Thanks, Bud!

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts